Advanced PSV Technician
Advanced PSV Technician
Join us as an Advanced PSV Technician and we'll take your engineering skills to the next level.
For helping keep our fleet on the road, you'll earn a good salary and great benefits (see below).
Welcome to First Bus Engineering
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and our engineering teams are working at the forefront of bus technology. Nationwide, we are investing in state-of-the-art new buses, and in the workshops and people that service them. A First Bus depot is the perfect environment to continue growing your engineering knowhow. We will support your ongoing development and provide a career path to follow.
About the role
We're looking for a Technician to examine our vehicles in line with specified procedures to diagnose faults and to specify the correct method of timely repair in addition to carry out repairs as required.
We'll provide your overalls and all the tools and equipment needed.
- Be able to complete IRTEC accreditation and re-certification when required.
- Be willing to take the IRTEC level 4 equivalent when available.
- Required to attend a continuous development program.
- Attend OE training courses.
- Attend train-the-trainer courses.
- Train staff on diagnostic and repair standards.
- Be a practical problem solver.
- Be able to demonstrate capability in using current diagnostics.
- Willing to step up to supervisor cover where required.
- Mentor and develop our young apprentices through their trade training.
- Be able to interpret and produce reports on vehicle data.
- Work with the Engineering manager, Workshop manager, and engineering support team to reduce breakdowns, repeat defects, and department spending.
- Be able, and willing to travel in SY, and have flexibility.
- Minimum level3 NVQ standard or equivalent(ie City & Guilds level 1&2)
- To be fully conversant with the safe operation of workshop equipment including hydraulic vehicle lifts, pressured oil and waste systems, battery chargers and starters, trolley jacks, scaffolding, pressure wash and automatic washing equipment, headlamp alignment tester, hydraulic jacks and testing equipment, drilling machine, torque wrenches, pedestal grinders and general portable equipment (ie air guns, drills, electric and pneumatic hand tools etc)
- To be familiar with modern repair techniques and the use of electronic and mechanical diagnostic equipment (ie brake rolling road tester, smoke meter, headlamp alignment tester, engine oil sampling and diagnostic laptop equipment
- To be familiar with computerised engineering systems and the input and extraction of relevant data.
- To keep up to date with new vehicle systems and requirements
- To attend relevant training courses, this may involve an overnight stay
- A PCV licence isn't essential, we can support you in gaining it.
Rewards & Benefits
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Argos, Tesco, Sainburys, Asda
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking + cycle to work scheme
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:40
- Location:UK Bus - Sheffield Olive Grove Bus Depot
- Salary:£21 p/h