Auto Electrician (Nights)
Auto Electrician (Nights)
Join us as an Auto Electrician and we'll take your engineering skills to the next level.
For helping keep our fleet on the road, you'll earn a good salary and great benefits (see below).
We'd love to hear from if you have NVQ Level 3 in Engineering
Welcome to First Bus Engineering
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and our engineering teams are working at the forefront of bus technology. Nationwide, we are investing in state-of-the-art new buses, and in the workshops and people that service them. A First Bus depot is the perfect environment to continue growing your engineering knowhow. We will support your ongoing development and provide a career path to follow.
About the role
In this role you will:
- Vehicle fault diagnostics and repair.
- To fully comply with all HS & E legislation along with Group policies.
- To fully comply with all relevant Engineering SOPs.
- To provide guidance to other staff as required.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and superiors.
- Maintain and develop technical skills as required.
We'll provide your overalls and all the tools and equipment needed.
PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT (Key performance indicators which you will be measured against)
- Repeat defect analysis
- Cost of repairs
- Time keeping
- To ensure compliance with the requirements of the environmental management manual at depot level.
- To report incidents and complaints to the Engineering Manager.
- To report immediately, to the Engineering Manager, any leak, unauthorised or accidental discharge or any other hazards to the environment.
- To ensure protective clothing and equipment is used at all times.
- To diagnose vehicle faults and specify the correct method of repair and parts to be used within defined quality standards and within the most cost effective manner.
- To carry out vehicle servicing in accordance with central engineering SOPs.
- To record individual job times for the repair action either manually or electronically.
- To ensure parts replaced under warranty are returned to stores fully labelled and in a clean condition.
- To ensure all parts are booked out from stores using the correct procedure.
- To adhere to good house keeping practices including general tidiness in the workshop and the return of all tools and equipment to their designated place.
- To attend on-road vehicle breakdowns and recoveries.
- To carry out vehicle road testing where necessary to determine specific vehicle defects or following remedial repair.
Technical Knowledge and Training
- Minimum level 3 NVQ standard or equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds level 1 & 2).
- To be fully conversant with the safe operation of workshop equipment including brake rolling road testers, tracking gauges, hydraulic vehicle lifts, pressurised oil and waste systems, battery charges and starters, trolley jacks, scaffolding, pressure wash and automatic washing equipment, digital smoke readers, headlamp alignment testers, hydraulic jacks and testing equipment, drilling machines, torque wrenches, pedestal grinders and general portable equipment (i.e. air guns, drills, electric and pneumatic hand tools etc..).
- To be fully conversant with the overhaul and repair of vehicle electrical systems including engine management, automatic/semi-automatic gearboxes, electronic braking, suspension, electronic destinations, multiplex wiring systems and E.C.U, control systems.
- To be fully familiar with all relevant diagnostic equipment including multi meters, temperature gauges, micrometers, vernier gauges and E.C.U. diagnostic computer equipment.
- To have basic skills in gas and electric welding.
- To attend relevant training courses, which may involve an overnight stay
- Must be in the possession of, or capable of obtaining a full PCV licence and forklift truck licence if required.
- To be sufficiently flexible in respect to working hours and job roles to ensure that commitments are fulfilled.
- To work at any other location within the company, either permanently or temporarily as required.
- Understand the company's engineering functions and individual's business/performance objectives.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues.
- Ensure full participation at team meetings.
- Represent the company in a professional manner at all times.
To carry out any other duties as may reasonably be requested by your line manager.
Rewards & Benefits
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Argos, Asda, Tesco, Sainsbruys
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking + cycle to work scheme
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:UK Bus - Scotstoun Depot, Glasgow
- Salary:£17.10 p/h