First Bus are looking for a Commercial Apprentice to join us on our journey in West Yorkshire and York!
As our Commercial Apprentice working as a key member of the West Yorkshire Commercial Team, you will ensure that robust data analysis and evaluation of customer insight sit at the heart of decision-making processes in the local operating company.
You will be absolutely pivotal in helping us to design and create a flexible working environment for our employees, in an environment that has typically been unable to attract and retain great people due to static shift working. We are leading the way in modernising bus working time practices and we need amazing people like you to help us on the journey.
As an Apprentice with First Bus, you will start on a structured career path, completing your Apprenticeship within two years with great progression opportunities ahead of you and no limit on your ambitions. Apprentices will be the next generation of First Bus – you are the lifeblood of our team and we therefore give you the full support of our vastly experienced team to help you on your journey!
Why should you become a First Bus Commercial Apprentice?
- Lead from the front with second to none technology and ways of thinking to deliver the best possible service to our many customers
- Future proof your career with our inhouse training courses and plenty of external courses to choose from
- Earn great benefits to go along with your salary - All UK apprenticeships offer the chance to “earn while you learn”. We add lots of extra benefits on top, including discounts on leading brands and household shopping.
- Flexible working – We offer flexible working hours to suit you, including a mix of home working and working from any of our local depots
- Learn from some amazing people – We have vast experience and expertise at First Bus, we attract the best in the industry and thrive to share our knowledge. Our team will coach and guide you to success
- Daily job satisfaction – You will learn all aspects of the commercial side of the industry, from timetabling buses and looking at meta data - all the way to stakeholder engagement and working with our Trade Union
- Help keep communities moving - Your work will have a huge impact on helping to keep a reliable and punctual bus service running for our local people
- Support a greener, sustainable future - The whole world is moving to a low carbon future and First Bus is on a “zero emission mission” to lead the UK public transport sector in sustainable operations. Come with us on our journey to not only increase our electric fleet capacity, but also to increase passenger numbers by offering a comfortable and affordable mode of transport – resulting in fewer car journeys and a better environment for all.
- Be here at an exciting time – We are on a path to gain more customers onto our vehicles, after peoples way of working has changed due to the pandemic. Although we continue to face some challenges, we are very much looking forward to delivering a second to none service and look forward to going on the journey back to ‘normality' with our customers. We are launching a new company vision, expanding our services and exploring new kinds of travel and transport solutions.
What will you be doing?
- Using data and insight to proactively monitor business performance, being able to early identify emerging trends and issues
- Working with the local commercial, network and marketing teams to identify opportunities for passenger and revenue growth
- Generating ideas to enhance and grow our network, utilising planning tools and building the required evidence and arguments to proceed
- Making suggestions within our bus networks to improve their efficiency and effectiveness
- Monitoring retail channels and products, leading on innovative and evidenced suggestions for price points
- Supporting the preparation of the revenue budget and forecasts
- Working within a divisional framework, providing regular revenue, channel and passenger performance reports with relevant commentary and insight
- Using market information provided by the central analytics team, to understand why external factors impact demand on bus travel and make recommendations based on this
- Providing analytical support for new business initiatives within Scotland
- Acting as the Operating Company champion for data analysis, ensuring that the central investment in improved systems is utilised across the Operating Company
- Liaising with colleagues in the central analytics team and in other operating companies, to ensure best practice analysis is shared.
What are we looking for?
- An inquisitive nature, willing to question the status quo
- The ability to use data and insight to confidently build and present arguments for change
- Ability to present complex data into key succinct arguments
- The ability to work well in a changing environment and plan for a range of scenarios
- Capable of managing your own time and balancing your workload
- Providing regular and relevant input to budget and financial predictions, planned in advance and submitted on time
- Good analytical and communication skills combined with business acumen, pragmatism and with an excellent sense of diplomacy
- Significant experience and effective use of Microsoft Excel, PowerBI and SQL
- Strong numerical capabilities, with a degree or relevant in Mathematics or another numerical subject
- An advocate of FirstGroup values and associated behaviours
What can we offer you?
- Free bus pass for you and your family on joining
- First My Rewards - Discounted train travel for you and your family after 6 months service – travel as far as London for £6!
- 25 days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- First Xclusives – Discounts on many high street brands, supermarket's, holiday's and cinema tickets, to name a few
- Generous pension and shares scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme – 24hr, 365 days a year mental health support
Welcome to First Bus
At First Bus, we're proud to be part of so many journeys. We're part of first days at school, dream-job interviews, major sporting events and even life-changing events. Be it behind the wheel, or behind the scenes, we help people get to all of life's destinations.
And every day, we're working hard to make our services easier to use, more accessible, more reliable and more sustainable. We're not perfect, but we're clear about where we're going and how we'll get there. We want to be known for forward-thinking innovation, operational excellence and providing a best-in-class service. To deliver our ambition, we have a pretty neat plan laid out, and we'd love for you to join us for the next stage of your journey, and ours.
Apply now! We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Apprentice
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37.50
- Location:UK Bus - West Yorkshire, UK Bus - York Depot
- If temporary, length of contract:18-22 month Apprenticeship
- Closing Date:23 December 2022