Engineering Chargehand (Nights)
Join us as an Engineering Chargehand and we'll take your engineering skills to the next level.
For helping keep our fleet on the road, you'll earn a good salary and great benefits (see below)
We'd love to hear from if you have engineering experience!
Welcome to First Bus Engineering
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and our engineering teams are working at the forefront of bus technology. Nationwide, we are investing in state-of-the-art new buses, and in the workshops and people that service them. A First Bus depot is the perfect environment to continue growing your engineering knowhow. We will support your ongoing development and provide a career path to follow.
About the role
As an Engineering Supervisor you will ensure strong teams are built in the depot, by consistently delivering a great service everyday.
Your working hours will be 39 per week, the shifts are Sunday to Thursday 2200 – 0600hrs.
What will you be doing?
- To monitor the daily running of the depot and all engineering staff, and supervising in the absence of the Workshop Planner and Engineering Supervisor
- To carry out repairs and diagnosis on vehicles as required.
- To fully comply with all HS & E legislation along with First Group policies.
- To provide guidance to other staff as required.
- To allocate planned and unplanned work to engineering staff.
- To manage labour overtime in line with set authorisation limits, as set by Engineering Manager.
- Ensure the engineering vehicle status board and daily garage log are updated to reflect any changes that take place.
- Liaise with the operations department to deal with changeovers and breakdowns in the most effective way to minimise lost mileage
- In the absence of the Cleaning ,Supervisor manage of vehicle cleaning, fuelling, oil checks and parking.
- Processing vehicle defect cards in line with engineering standard operating procedures.
- Take digital photographs of any vehicle involved in a third party incident in line with engineering standard operating procedures as required.
Who are we looking for?
- Minimum level 3 NVQ standard or equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds level 1 & 2) in a relevant Vehicle Repair subject.
- To be fully conversant with the safe operation of workshop equipment
- Must be in the possession of, or capable of obtaining a full PCV licence and forklift truck licence if required.
We'll provide your overalls and all the tools and equipment needed.
Rewards & Benefits
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Argos, Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking + cycle to work scheme
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:39
- Location:UK Bus - Bristol Lawrence Hill