Join us as a Lead Technician and we'll take your engineering skills to the next level.
For helping keep our fleet on the road, you'll earn a good salary and great benefits (see below).
Welcome to First Bus Engineering
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and our engineering teams are working at the forefront of bus technology. Nationwide, we are investing in state-of-the-art new buses, and in the workshops and people that service them. A First Bus depot is the perfect environment to continue growing your engineering knowhow. We will support your ongoing development and provide a career path to follow.
About the role
- To lead the Engineering Operation, dealing with Vehicle Servicing, Breakdown and Inspections and diagnose faults specifying the correct method of repair and length of time it may take to repair.
- To be flexible in respect of working hours to ensure commitments to operational requirements are fulfilled and will need to remain up to date with any new engineering or health and safety legislation
- There is a requirement to pass knowledge onto engineering staff. The jobholder must be prepared to be instrumental in providing a path for the concept and fulfilment of continuous improvement throughout the organisation
- To be fully up to date with individual vehicle history paying particular attention to reoccurring defects prior to carrying out the vehicle inspection.
- To be familiar with modern repair techniques and the use of electronic and mechanical diagnostic equipment (i.e. Brake rolling road tester, smoke meter, headlight alignment tester, engine oil sampling and diagnostic laptop equipment).
- To be familiar with computerised engineering systems and the input and extraction of relevant data.
We'll provide your overalls and all the tools and equipment needed.
- A minimum Level 3 NVQ standard of equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds Level 1&2)
- Ability to multi-skill within an Engineering Environment
- A flexible approach to working hours
- A PCV licence is desirable, ability to obtain PCV licence is essential
- Experience of working with buses & coaches, HGV vehicles
We are looking for Mechanics who are fully conversant with the overhaul and repair of vehicle systems engines, gear boxes and hydraulic systems.
Ideally you will also have experience using workshop equipment such as brake rolling road testers, tracking gauges, hydraulic vehicle lifts, washing systems and testing equipment.
Rewards & Benefits
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Argos, Tesco, Sainburys, Asda
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking + cycle to work scheme
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:40
- Location:UK Bus - Slough
- Salary:£19.45 ph