£28,300 per annum with possible earnings of £35,000
Join us as a Bus Mechanic, and we'll take your engineering skills to the next level. We have an amazing shift pattern on offer! If you have a look at the attached schedule, you'll see that you will have at least 2 long weekends a month, you barely have to work weekends and you even have weeks where you have 6 or 5 days of rest!
For helping keep our fleet on the road, you'll earn a good salary and great benefits (see below).
We'd love to hear from if you have a minimum Level 3 NVQ standard or equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds Level 1&2).
Welcome to First Bus Engineering
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and our engineering teams are working at the forefront of bus technology. Nationwide, we are investing in state-of-the-art new buses, and in the workshops and people that service them. A First Bus depot is the perfect environment to continue growing your engineering knowhow. We will support your ongoing development and provide a career path to follow.
About the role
We are looking for Mechanics who are fully conversant with the overhaul and repair of vehicle systems engines, gear boxes and hydraulic systems.
Ideally you will also have experience using workshop equipment such as brake rolling road testers, tracking gauges, hydraulic vehicle lifts, washing systems and testing equipment.
The role offers good training and new opportunities plus flexible working.
There is a current pay deal that the hourly rate will rise to £15.40 by 2024.
In this role you will:
- Diagnose and carry out vehicle repairs, servicing and parts replacement
- Diagnose vehicle faults and specify the correct method of repair and parts to be used
- Carry out vehicle servicing and routine vehicle examinations using hand held data capture devices if applicable
- Attend on-road vehicle breakdowns and recoveries
- Carry out vehicle road testing where necessary to identify specific vehicle defects or following remedial repair
We'll provide your overalls and all the tools and equipment needed.
- A minimum Level 3 NVQ standard or equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds Level 1&2)
- Ability to multi-skill within an Engineering Environment
- A flexible approach to working hours
- A PCV licence is desirable, ability to obtain PCV licence is essential
- Experience of working with buses & coaches would be an advantage
- A basic electrical understanding
- A PCV licence isn't essential, we can support you in gaining it.
Rewards & Benefits
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Asda, Sainsbury's, ODEON
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking + cycle to work scheme
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Overtime offered at a rate of 1.3
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:39
- Location:UK Bus - Ipswich
- Salary:£14 per hour