Shift Workshop Supervisor
Shift Workshop Supervisor
Join us as a Workshop Supervisor and we'll take your engineering skills to the next level.
For helping keep our fleet on the road, you'll earn a good salary and great benefits (see below).
Welcome to First Bus Engineering
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and our engineering teams are working at the forefront of bus technology. Nationwide, we are investing in state-of-the-art new buses, and in the workshops and people that service them. A First Bus depot is the perfect environment to continue growing your engineering knowhow. We will support your ongoing development and provide a career path to follow.
About the role
- In line with standard policies and procedures, supervise the maintenance and servicing of the fleet, ensuring vehicles comply with all statutory regulations
- Induct and develop an engaged, talented and high performing engineering team
- Efficiently allocate planned and unplanned work across the engineering team, including covering on the day absence
- Ensure the availability of vehicles in line with operational requirements
- Support the Stores Manager to ensure optimum management of stock and accurate and timely processing of warranty claims
- Maintain depot plant and equipment
- Ensure accurate capture and recording of all hours worked
- Maintain accurate records for all aspects of engineering standards and performance, including fleet and environmental management
- Ensure a comprehensive hand-over and coordination across shifts
- Conduct any disciplinary, grievance or absence management reviews in accordance with Company policy
- Work alongside depot operational and engineering team members, fostering excellent working relationships to effectively manage all aspects of service performance, including vehicle allocation, breakdowns, changeovers and punctuality and reliability of services
- Comply with requisition to pay procedures and delegated authorities
- Ensure an effective working relationship with recognised trade union representatives and officials
- Other duties commensurate with the role as may be deemed appropriate by the line manager
We'll provide your overalls and all the tools and equipment needed.
The working hours will be 13:00 till 22:00 Monday to Friday. The successful candidate must also be flexible to cover other shifts when necessary.
- City & Guild Level 1 & 2 – Automotive Systems
- City and Guilds NVQ level 3 Skilled or equivalent.
- Core Safety Management (or equivalent)
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills (GCSE or equivalent)
- Basic IT skills (ECDL or equivalent
- A PCV licence isn't essential, we can support you in gaining it.
- Membership of Institute of Road Transport Engineers (IRTE) or equivalent, or hold minimum qualifications to become a member
- ILM Level 2 ‘Leadership & Management' (or equivalent)
- Lean qualification (BIT / Six Sigma or equivalent)
- COSHH awareness/ qualification
- Manual handling awareness/ qualification
Rewards & Benefits
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Argos, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking + cycle to work scheme
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:38
- Location:UK Bus - Halifax Bus Station