Who Are We?
FirstGroup plc is a FTSE 250 constituent and leading transport operator in the UK. During the last year around 2 billion passengers relied on us to get to work, to school or college, to visit family and friends and much more. Each day every one of our 100,000 employees works hard to deliver vitally important services for our customers. We are one of the UK's most experienced rail operators, carrying around 140m passengers across our three franchises and our open access operation.
The role of the IT Project Manager works with the IT Programme Office with reporting line into the Group CIO office and involves working with the senior leadership teams, Group IT Team, Operating Divisions (Bus and Rail), Group HQ employees and Train Operating Companies (TOCs) business and IT Teams to deliver co-ordinated and structured IT projects. Delivery of all IT projects should follow standard methodologies and take account of the risks and issues as the projects move forward.
The IT Project Manager is responsible for the end-to-end delivery of a project cycle including reporting and communications to all relevant stakeholders during the course of the projects:
- Management and delivery of defined IT projects working in partnership with IT stakeholders
- Maintaining good communications with divisions on cross divisional and Plc projects
- Maintaining and managing effective project risk management processes capable of scrutiny by internal and external audit, escalating risks and issues according to severity
- Compiling quality project reports providing data and details relative to the audience e.g. IT Programme Manager, CIO, Senior business stakeholders, Audit etc.
- Ensuring all projects adhere to strong financial and budgetary controls
- Adhering to project management principles whilst leveraging some Agile methodologies where appropriate
- To develop and manage accurate and effective project plans
- Engage project stakeholders and maintain strong communications throughout the lifecycle of a project
- Control and report on risks and issues ensuring stakeholders are comfortable with the risks being taken to deliver projects
- Ensure all projects adhere to strong financial and budgetary controls reporting early on any overspend or concerns to relevant stakeholders
- Ensure standard change control processes are adhered to
- Use agreed PMO toolsets to administer plans and RAID logs
- Include testing and implementation plans where appropriate ensuring the relevant business stakeholders approve and accept changes
- Conduct lessons learnt reviews prior to project close
- Management of the programme of work and planning essential technology change to maintain the status quo
- Maintain good communications with divisions on cross divisional and group projects
- Ensure all projects adhere to strong financial and budgetary controls
- Deliver projects within target timescales
- To support the Group's Vision, strategy, and Values
- To comply with all Group safety policies, and role-model the principles and behaviours of our Be Safe programme.
- To maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the Group's objectives and business plans.
- To establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues throughout the Group.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Ability to communicate with impact and engage effectively with senior stakeholders both inside and outside of FirstGroup
- Written skills are required in order to present complex and high-profile projects, issues and risks to senior stakeholders
- Can influence and challenge leadership
- Ability to manage long term strategic partnerships
- Strong decision-making skills – ability to balance conflicting interests
- Robust problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills both written and oral
- Qualified Prince 2 Practitioner with an understanding of Agile practice
- Experience of managing people
- Significant experience of managing senior level relationships
- Ability to develop, maintain and share demonstrable subject matter expertise
- Commercial risk management
- Proficient in writing business cases and other standard PMO documentation
- Business Planning skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and collaboration tools
- Strong knowledge of industry standard PMO solutions
What will you get in return?
- Minimum of 10% contribution to your Pension (5% employer and 5% employee)
- Private Healthcare Insurance
- 25 days Holiday plus National Bank Holidays
- Travel Offers for Bus and Rail*
- Shopping Discounts including discounts and cashback on electrical goods, your weekly shop, holidays, cinema trips, car insurance, upgrading your mobile and lots more
- Buy as You Earn – allows you to buy shares each month, with 2 free ‘matching' shares for each 3 shares you buy. You can vary the amount you save or stop it at any time. You need to participate in the scheme for at least 3 years to receive the matching shares*
- Employee Assistance Helpline – free, confidential employee support service provided by an independent provider
- Payroll Giving – donate directly from your pay to a Charity of your Choice
*after 6 months of employment
FirstGroup plc welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive organisation because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer base.
- Company:First Rail Holdings
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37.50
- Location:Home Based, The Point London
- If temporary, length of contract:6 Months