FirstGroup plc is a leading provider of transport services in the UK and Ireland, and a member of the FTSE 250. Our 30,000 colleagues work across the UK to provide easy and convenient mobility, improving quality of life by connecting people and communities. Our First Bus division is one of the largest bus operators in the UK, serving two thirds of the 15 largest cities. We are also one of the country's largest and most experienced rail operators, running four train companies, GWR, SWR, TPE and Avanti West Coast, and other rail businesses as part of our First Rail division. Our ambition is to accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon world and be the partner of choice for innovative and sustainable transport.
We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive employer because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities, and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer base. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome everyone regardless of social background, gender or gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, marriage or civil partnership status, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or age.
We consider all requests to work flexibly in line with our established Flexible Working Policy and other related policies and guidance that may be in force from time to time. We are committed as a Disability Confident employer to making appropriate reasonable adjustments to address a disadvantage you may be facing at work as a result of a disability.
Who are we?
First Rail Consultancy comprises of experienced professionals covering every aspect of a transport company, providing support to companies within First Group as well as external transport clients alike.
We are continuing to expand our Project and Programme team to support our pipeline of work. If you are an experienced Project Manager with a track record of delivering business transformation projects and looking for your next permanent role, then we would love to hear from you. We provide an inclusive and supportive environment where you can develop and grow both professionally and personally.
This is an ideal time to join the First Rail Consultancy, to gain exposure to a range of development challenges and play an instrumental role in ensuring the future success of the business.
The role is normally based at our Head Office, The Point, Paddington, London however we are happy to discuss suitable alternative locations across our First Group UK Train Operating Company locations. Travel to other UK locations will be required dependant on your client assignment.
Location: London or Other First Group UK Train Operating Company location / Hybrid
Salary Range: £43,000 - £55,000
- Experienced business transformation Project Manager looking for your next challenge.
- Thrives in driving projects to achieve their objectives/outputs with a clear focus on delivery.
- Confident in your ability to collaborate with your client to identify and understand their requirements, adding value on a day-to-day basis.
- Excellent project management skills; attention to detail; and an ability to build productive relationships and lead your project team.
- Able to work independently, determine priorities and drive forward projects in an enterprising way.
- Ability to facilitate, engage and advise across various levels of the organisation.
- Ability to work across several projects in different subject areas as required.
- Builds relationships, expresses ideas confidently and clearly, easily creates a peer network.
- A high level of attention to detail and skill in creating accessible, traceable, quality documentation, reports and presentations.
- Open to new ways of working, questions existing approaches, views change as an opportunity.
Key tasks include:
- Plan and implement business transformation projects in accordance with a recognised project methodology.
- Help define project scope, goals, and deliverables.
- Define critical path activities and associated tasks to ensure a deliverable plan is in place.
- Identify, agree, and allocate project resources.
- Manage a project team (where applicable) and wider stakeholders.
- Create and maintain a schedule and project timeline.
- Track deliverables.
- Support and direct project team (where applicable).
- Develop and maintain a risks, assumptions, issues, and dependencies (RAID) register.
- Monitor and report on project progress.
- Create and maintain quality project documentation for all stages of the project.
- Evaluate and assess the result of the project, identify lessons to be learnt, and support their use to drive efficient delivery of future initiatives.
- Support for contract and procurement activities to ensure that the project requirements are met, and frameworks, requirements and specifications agreed.
- Ensure cross-functional collaborative working across all internal/external stakeholders through excellent communication, to successfully deliver project objectives.
- Drive alignment and performance to ensure deliverables are supported by embedding organisational & process changes.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Proven experience in project management and delivery in the context of business transformation projects or programmes in a variety of different project environments.
- Excellent knowledge of project controls, processes, governance and systems.
- Experience of utilising project management tools, project reporting and risk management.
- Skilled in managing and balancing multiple and competing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in working with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Tact, diplomacy, tenacity and experienced in engaging stakeholders up to Executive level to have a positive impact.
- Has a clear focus to deliver results, motivating themselves and the team to achieve.
- A confident speaker and proven experience of leading cross functional forums.
- A team player, focused on furthering the reputation of First Rail Holdings, and providing flexible support to peers within the organisation.
- Ability to think critically and challenge both the project and the business in a constructive manner.
- Financial understanding and appreciation (budgeting, reporting, interpretation).
- To ensure the induction, management, performance appraisal and continued development of all direct reports (where assigned).
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams)
- Experience of supporting the project management maturity of an organisation through the identification and application of new processes, systems, team working and training initiatives.
- Holds or is working towards a recognised Project Management qualification.
What can we offer you?
- Minimum of 10% contribution to your Pension (5% employer and 5% employee)
- 25 days Holiday plus National Bank Holidays
- Travel Offers for Bus and Rail*
- Free Bus Travel on your local FirstGroup Operated Network.
- Payroll Giving – donate directly from your pay to a Charity of your Choice.
- Shopping Discounts including discounts and cashback on electrical goods, your weekly shop, holidays, cinema trips, car insurance, upgrading your mobile and lots more.
- Buy as You Earn* - allows you to buy shares each month, with two free ‘matching' shares for each three shares you buy. You can vary the amount you save or stop it at any time. You need to participate in the scheme for at least 3 years to receive the matching shares.
- Employee Assistance Helpline – free, confidential employee support service provided by an independent provider.
*after 6 months of employment
- Company:First Rail Holdings
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37.50
- Location:The Point London
- Salary:£43,000 - £55,000
- Closing Date:2 April 2023