Rail Revenue Commercial Analyst
Who are we?
First Rail is one of the UK's most experienced rail operators, carrying more than 345m passengers across three franchises (Great Western Railway, South Western Railway and Avanti West Coast) and our open access operators (Hull Trains and Lumo). We operate all types of passenger railways - intercity, commuter, regional and sleeper services.
First Rail Holdings consists of several specialist teams such as Engineering, Finance, Legal, Property, IT and Human Resources – all of which provide expertise and support to the rail division.
What is the role?
First Group is seeking a skilled and motivated Rail Revenue Commercial Analyst to join the Rail Division. As a Rail Revenue Commercial Analyst, you will play a pivotal role in our organisations success by assisting with revenue analysis, forecasting rail demand and revenue, and provide valuable insights to support strategic decision making. It is an exciting time for rail as it leads sustainable change, and you will actively contribute by understanding the environmental benefits from travelling by rail.
Key elements of the role will be to deliver rail revenue and demand forecasts using bespoke demand forecasting models for Rail Division's current businesses and new business opportunities. A particular focus will be put on quantifying the sustainability benefits from modal shift as we look to position rail as a crucial driver in meeting net zero ambitions.
The successful applicant will be integral in helping Rail Division realise the potential from new data warehousing solutions. This provides an excellent platform for an analyst to further develop their technical analytical skills through a number of data visualisation and analysis tools. This role will develop as more experienced is gained with significant opportunity for professional growth.
What are the key responsibilities?
- Understand industry principles to modelling rail demand
- Ability to challenge industry principles with bespoke techniques
- Produce forecasting models that are tailored to specific purpose
- Ensure spreadsheet modelling adheres to best practice
- Provide documented assumptions when compiling models
- Produce analysis from cloud-based data warehousing to develop reports and analysis
- Use historic passenger demand data to inform new commercial insight
- Analyse rail industry data to inform future patterns of passenger demand
- Present findings in a clear and concise way
- Keep abreast with latest environmental targets and research
- Analysis of carbon emissions by mode of transport
- Monitoring of non-rail passenger movements
- Establish relationships with stakeholders across the Rail Division portfolio
- Keep up to date with latest economic factors that may influence future rail demand
- Other ad hoc tasks as required
Skills, Experience and Qualifications Required
- Qualified to bachelor's degree or master's degree – numerate degree desirable
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in a revenue related role across the rail industry or other transport sector
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills with experience in Excel spreadsheet modelling
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency in data manipulation and statistical tools (SQL, Python, R etc).
- Familiar with rail industry revenue systems LENNON, MOIRA, PDFH desirable
- Good business acumen and experience in a fast passed commercial environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent prioritisation and time-management skills
- Committed to continuous professional development
What you'll get in return
- Minimum of 10% contribution to your Pension (5% employer and 5% employee)
- 25 days Holiday plus National Bank Holidays
- Travel Offers for Bus and Rail *
- Shopping Discounts including discounts and cashback on electrical goods, your weekly shop, holidays, cinema trips, car insurance, upgrading your mobile and lots more
- Buy as You Earn – allows you to buy shares each month, with 2 free ‘matching' shares for each 3 shares you buy. You can vary the amount you save or stop it at any time. You need to participate in the scheme for at least 3 years to receive the matching shares *
- Employee Assistance Helpline – free, confidential employee support service provided by an independent provider
- Payroll Giving – donate directly from your pay to a Charity of your Choice
*after 6 months of employment
FirstGroup plc welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive organisation because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer.
- Company:First Rail Holdings
- Website Skillset:Other
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37.50
- Location:The Point London
- Salary:£35,000 - £50,000 DOE
- Closing Date:29 September 2023