Trainee & Experienced Bus Drivers
36 hours per week
We love welcoming new and experienced Bus Drivers to our team in Halifax
Join us a Trainee and you will earn:
£11.00 per hour
You will be contracted to a 37 hours per week.
As an Experienced Driver, you will earn:
£11.00 per hour.
Existing licence holders will now receive a £1k welcome bonus (full T&C's below).
£1,000 Welcome Bonus Terms and Conditions
- Valid up until July 2022
- Paid £500 at the end of probation (6 months) subject to continued employment and further £500 paid after 12 months of driving service.
- Employees of any First Group operating companies who leave or who have left the company in the last 6 months and re-join will not be eligible to receive the PCV holder joining bonus.
- Excludes internal transfers.
- Applicants must meet the normal First West Yorkshire recruitment, selection and licence criteria and must not have any of the following offences valid on their licence: 1/ CU80 (driving whilst using a mobile phone) in the last 4 years. 2/ DR (Drink) in the last 11 years. 3/ DG (Drug) in the last 11 years. 4/ DD (Reckless/dangerous driving in the last 11 years.
- Applicants who leave for whatever the reason before or in between each driving service anniversary date will not be eligible for the next bonus payment stage.
- If the applicant leaves for whatever reason before 6 months, the first part of the bonus will not be paid.
- If the applicant leaves for whatever reason after 6 months, but before 12 months then the second part of the bonus will not be paid.
- Drivers employed under an agency contract or where an agency introduction fee has been paid are not eligible for the PCV joining bonus.
- The PCV bonus scheme is only open for PCV driving roles.
- The bonus scheme may be withdrawn at any time.
You will be contracted to 37 hours per week
On top of your salary, there are some brilliant benefits. Our package helps your weekly wage go further, while providing long-term financial security.
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Asda, Argos, Tesco and more!
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme + chance to buy discounted First Group shares
Info for trainees
The minimum age is 18, with at least 6 months' driving experience. Don't worry if you've never driven anything bigger than a car before. We provide top-class training on our modern, automatic buses.
Bus driving is a rewarding career. You'll be providing a service that customers value and rely on. Getting to work or school. Doctor's appointments. Visiting Nan. Popping to the shops. Heading into town. The journey home. Bus drivers are key workers who keep everyday life moving for local communities.
You'll be out on the road, working on your own initiative. At the same time, you will be part of a close-knit driving team, who look out for each other. Every day brings something different. You'll meet some amazing people along the way.
We'll be there for you, because you're there for us
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you'll have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
What we're looking for
If you're a patient, safe driver with good people skills, you're the perfect fit for our driving team.
- Trainees need a full UK driving licence (with no more than 6 points)
- Experienced drivers require a PCV licence and have held a CPC for a minimum of 12 months
- All drivers need the flexibility to work a variety of shifts, including early mornings, evenings and weekends
Welcome to First Bus
Hello. We're one of the country's largest bus operators – and we've launched the driving careers of thousands of people across the UK. You will be joining a forward-looking business at the forefront of bus technology. From mobile apps to carbon-friendly buses, we're leading the way.
Please apply now. We look forward to receiving you application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First UK Bus
- Website Skillset:Bus Driver
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:UK Bus - Halifax Bus Station
- Salary:£11.00 per hour