Engineering Apprentice (Mech/Elec) - Halifax
When stuff stops working, do you like trying to fix it? Then you're the kind of person who thrives on a First Bus Engineering Apprenticeship.
You don't need any previous knowledge of engines, mechanics, electronics or digital tech. If you are good at hands-on, practical problem-solving, we can teach you to be a great engineer. This is your launchpad to a future-proof career in new automotive technologies.
There is no age limit on our programmes – we welcome everyone from 16+. This can be your first job out of school or college. Or, it can be your chance to retrain and upskill.
Our Apprenticeships take three years to complete. You can choose from two different Engineering Technician programmes: Mechanical-Electrical and Trade (Parts). Here is why to apply.
10 great reasons to become a First Bus Apprentice
- Be an apprentice trailblazer: We are delivering a massive upgrade to our fleet across Britain. You will be part of our first Apprentice intake since launching this ambitious transformation programme.
- Future-proof your engineering career: You'll gain the skills to work across our fleet, including the latest electric and hybrid vehicles. Green automotive technologies are evolving fast, and we will keep introducing new models. You will re-train regularly in whatever comes next for automotive engineering.
- Earn great benefits on top of a proper salary: All UK apprenticeships offer the chance to “earn while you learn”. We add lots of extra benefits on top, including discounts on leading brands and household shopping. See the full list of rewards below.
- Get your kit provided: We have a toolbox waiting for you and all the protective gear you need for the workshop.
- Learn from some amazing people: You'll train in a depot, in a college classroom and at our purpose-built national Apprentice Academy. Our team are here to coach and guide you on the path to gaining a recognised qualification – and becoming a fully-fledged engineer.
- Get daily job satisfaction: You will be in a real job. Depending on the role and programme you choose, you'll learn skills such as inspections, servicing, fault diagnosis and repair. You'll get to solve problems every day – and see your impact directly when buses head back out of the depot.
- Help keep communities moving: Your work will have a big wider impact. By keeping our fleet on the road, you will be helping maintain an everyday service that really matters to local people.
- Support a greener, sustainable future: The whole world is moving to a low carbon future, featuring electric vehicles and fewer car journeys. First Bus is on “zero emission mission” to lead the UK public transport sector in sustainable operations.
- Be here at an exciting time: Our fleet upgrade is just one of the big developments in the business. We are launching a new company vision, expanding our services and exploring new kinds of travel and transport solutions.
- Start on a structured career path: When we say our Apprentices will be the next generation of First Bus Engineers, we mean it. Apprentices are the lifeblood of our Engineering team – this could be the start of a career with no limits on your ambitions.
Our Engineering Programmes
- Coachbuilding Apprenticeship: Learn to manufacture, repair and fit body parts and panels on our buses. You'll use specialist body repair equipment in preparation and finishing processes, including painting to keep our interiors and exteriors looking spick and span.
- Mech/Elec Apprenticeship: Learn to keep our buses safely on the road. We will teach you key skills in maintenance, fault diagnosis and bodywork and interiors repairs. This is a great opportunity to work on sustainable fuel technologies such as hydrogen, fully electric and hybrid vehicles.
- Parts/Stores Apprenticeship: Learn to manage the parts function of a depot, including working effectively with customers, suppliers and colleagues. You'll prepare, organise and assign parts, and manage the inventory database by keeping a clear audit trail of materials and goods.
What we are looking for
We are keen to stress, we do not ask for any previous technical training or qualifications. Our only requirement is 3 GCSE passes at Grade 4/C or above (or equivalent), including Maths and English.
We are most interested in your natural curiosity for how things work – and how to fix them when they go wrong. If you like to learn practical skills, we are the people to teach you.
Rewards & Benefits
Your salary goes further on a First Bus Apprenticeship, thanks to the generous benefits package.
- First Xclusives discount scheme: You and your family & friends can benefit from over 3,000 offers on high street & leisure brands such as: Currys, ASOS, B&Q, Boots, Expedia, Nike, and H&M.
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family (a great saving to share with them)
- £6 all-day train travel for you and your family on Great Western Railway, South Western Railway, Avanti, Trans Pennine Express, Hull Trains
- Free onsite parking
- Up to 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme and chance to buy discounted First Group shares.
We put a big focus on physical and mental wellbeing at First Bus. We recognise that anyone can be affected by the stresses and strains of work, or life outside it. You'll find a range of health-promotion initiatives, and you will have 24/7 access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
Ready to join the next generation? Please apply now. We look forward to receiving your application.
Public transport serves everyone, whatever their differences. At First Bus, we want to be an employer open to you, no matter what your differences are. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation because diverse backgrounds, thinking and experiences bring so many benefits to our customers, communities and people. We welcome applications from all.
- Company:First UK Bus
- Website Skillset:Apprentice
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:UK Bus - Halifax Bus Station
- Closing Date:19 August 2022