We are looking for an Engineering Chargehand to join our busy engineering team in Bristol on a Night Shifts
As an Engineering Chargehand you will ensure strong teams are built in the depot, by consistently delivering a great service everyday.
You will ensure that all maintenance and servicing is carried out within time and budget, maintaining health and safety standards.
The salary for this position £35,000+ per year
Your working hours will be 39 per week (The working hours are Mon – Fri 15.00 – 22.48hrs, but flexibility is required to cover other shifts/weekend work when required)
- To monitor the daily running of the depot and all engineering staff, and supervising in the absence of the Workshop Planner and Engineering Supervisor
- To carry out repairs and diagnosis on vehicles as required.
- To fully comply with all HS & E legislation along with First Group policies.
- To provide guidance to other staff as required.
- To allocate planned and unplanned work to engineering staff.
- To control labour overtime in line with set authorisation limits, as set by Engineering Manager.
- Ensure the engineering vehicle status board and daily garage log are updated to reflect any changes that take place.
- Liaise with the operations department to deal with changeovers and breakdowns in the most effective way to minimise lost mileage
- In the absence of the Cleaning Controller, control of vehicle cleaning, fuelling, oil checks and parking.
- Processing vehicle defect cards in line with engineering standard operating procedures.
- Take digital photographs of any vehicle involved in a third party incident in line with engineering standard operating procedures as required.
- To ensure all labour hours and material issues are recorded for specific workshop activities on works orders, ensuring no parts are booked out of stores without a work order or fleet number with the correct WBS (Reason code).
Skills & Experience
- Minimum level 3 NVQ standard or equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds level 1 & 2) in a relevant Vehicle Repair subject.
- To be fully conversant with the safe operation of workshop equipment
- Must be in the possession of, or capable of obtaining a full PCV licence and forklift truck licence if required.
- Good communication skills.
- Engaging and empowering with great organisational skills
What can we offer you?
- up to 5 weeks holiday (plus Public Holidays)
- company pension
- free bus travel for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel on GWR, SWR and other First train companies
- High Street discounts
We will also provide you with boots, overalls and specialist equipment so no need to worry about being safe/protected or having the right kit for the job!
What do we do?
One of the UK's largest bus operators, our team of 17,000 Journey Makers helps 1.6 million customers every single day to get to where they want to go.
Engineering is an integral part of our business focusing on efficiency, excellence, safety and reliability. We're constantly looking for ways to improve our processes, techniques and ways of engineering our very diverse fleet.
Working for First UK Bus you'll find your role varied, rewarding and satisfying. You'll work alongside our great team of technicians, mechanics, electricians and cleaners who all pull together to do a brilliant job! No two days are ever the same!
FirstBus welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive organisation because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer base.
Interested? Apply Today!
- Company:First UK Bus
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:39
- Location:UK Bus - Bristol Hengrove