Carriage Cleaner - Nights
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team:
The Cleaning Team are an integral part of the depot maintenance team and provide a crucial service to our customers – ensuring our trains are presented to the highest standards, the cleaning team put the polish on our product – our trains. The position is night shift only and work throughout the week including weekends
Your main responsibilities will be:
• Presenting clean and safe Traction vehicles to the highest standard
• Rectifying minor customer facing defects as required.
• Completing external hand washes of Trains.
• Completing Depot cleaning duties.
You'll need to be:
• Acutely aware of the required safety standards and aware of your responsibilities.
• Focused on the needs of the customer and the impact that the whole team has on them.
• A team player.
• Able to work to a deadline and to a written standard.
• Flexible and willing to go the extra mile.
• Bought into 6S and developing new and improved ways of working.
• Prepared to work at other locations, outside of Laira when required.
• Willing to participate in training both internal and external
As a minimum you'll need to have:
• NVQ 2 in cleaning methods and processes or have suitable experience of cleaning or be willing to complete the required NVQ training.
• Desirable IOSH training.
• Desirable to have completed or participating in Business Improvement Training (BIT)
• Pride in the product – our trains
If there is more than one successful applicant a reserve list will be created for roles which may arise over the next 6 months which may be on a different shift basis. The successful candidate must live within a 60-minute commute of the depot.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
At GWR we value diversity. Our vision for inclusion and diversity is:
We are progressive. We are one family. We are inclusive. First time, every time.
Valuing our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQ+, ethnicity, religion, and disability, means that every colleague has a voice and is supported to be their authentic self at work.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:Laira Depot
- Closing Date:8 August 2022