Driver Standards Manager
Who we are?
GWR is the proud custodian of one of the most prestigious railway networks in the world. Our services call at over 275 stations, stretching across the South West of England.
We aim to transform the way people think about rail travel by setting a new standard – a better experience for our customers. Together we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the job?
We are recruiting for a Driver Standards Manager position, based at Westbury or Fratton. You will join an established team of Driver Standards Managers, leading a driver team of trainee, newly qualified, and experienced drivers.
We take pride in delivering for our customers, keeping our services running and our customers moving.
The main responsibilities of this role will be:
- The delivery of GWR's competence management systems for safety critical operational staff, focusing primarily on Drivers.
- Line management of Drivers: welfare, conduct, attendance
- Assessing and developing operational competence, particularly train driving performance to deliver improvements in line with company and industry requirements
- Incident/accident investigations and due diligence checks
- Safety briefing of Drivers
- Involvement in Operational Training of Drivers
- On call commitment, to a maximum frequency of 1 in 3 weeks.
You'll need to be:
Able to supply subject matter expertise relating to the development of company standards and working practices, while working flexibly and efficiently.
Are you a strong team player with excellent interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to learn and adapt to change?
Do you see yourself as self-motivated and enthusiastic about delivering results, with minimum supervision, while working methodically creating and maintaining accurate records?
If you have these qualities, this may be an exciting opportunity for you!
As a minimum you need to have:
- Excellent knowledge of GWR operations and standards
- Mainline Train Driver competence
- Good Microsoft Office skills
- Previous line management experience
- D31/D32 or A1 certification would be an advantage, although training in this area can be provided
About the location?
Westbury traincrew depot is situated remote to the railway station at Westbury. It enjoys a purpose- built facility containing both driver and guard colleagues. The depot operates local services from Westbury connecting Portsmouth Harbour and Weymouth to Bristol, Cardiff Central, and Weymouth, as well as being responsible for the overnight train servicing operation at our Westbury siding facility.
Fratton traincrew depot is situated remotely from the railway station at Fratton. It enjoys a recently refurbished depot facility containing both driver and guard colleagues. The depot operates services from Fratton connecting Portsmouth Harbour and Brighton to Bristol, and Cardiff Central, as well as being responsible for the overnight train servicing operation at Fratton train-care depot.
We work a 7-day railway. Our standard MS contract arrangements of 37 hours per week apply
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, childcare vouchers and an Employee assistance programme.
At GWR we value diversity. Our vision for inclusion and diversity is:
We are progressive. We are one family. We are inclusive. First time, every time.
Valuing our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQ+, ethnicity, religion, and disability, means that our colleagues have a voice and are supported to be their authentic selves at work.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Customer Service
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Fratton, Westbury Station
- If temporary, length of contract:12 months
- Closing Date:6 December 2021