Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team?
The role is Gateline Assistant where you are the first person and the last that our customers meet and can be a very busy environment. The Gateline also collects revenue from customers without tickets. The work is sometimes challenging, but it can be a very rewarding job.
About the job?
The purpose of the job is to be the face of Great Western Railway and to give our customers a positive impression of the company and to exceed their expectations of customer service. As a Gateline Assistant, you will assist in the operation of the ticket barriers and provide information and assistance to customers.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Delivering a great experience to our customers
- Assisting in the day to day operation of the automatic ticket gates
- Ensuring customer security and responding to customer enquiries
- Inspecting and issuing tickets
- Addressing customer needs during times of service disruption
- Ensuring the professional appearance of the Gateline area by clearing rubbish and making sure customer walkways are unobstructed
You'll need to be:
- Able to deliver exceptional customer service
- Able to demonstrate a can-do attitude
- Confident when decision making
- Able to remain calm yet directive under pressure
- Able to work to strict procedures
- Have a good level of IT skills
- Have a good level of numeracy and literacy
As a minimum you will need to have:
- Previous experience of cash handling would be desirable
- Be able to complete paperwork accurately
- Be able to complete reports as and when required
About the location?
Bath Spa station is located in the heart of the city centre and has a broad customer base of over six million customers a year. Some customers are commuters, some are shoppers and others are tourists on a weekend break. As well as having a good knowledge of the GWR network, you will also need to be able to point tourists in the right direction when they leave the station. The station prides itself on a friendly atmosphere and we even have a piano in the entrance foyer for customer use.
This role involves working shift working, including weekends and bank holidays. The earliest shift start is 0615 and the latest shift finish would be 2030 hours.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Customer Service
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:Bath Spa Station
- Closing Date:5 June 2023