Gateline Assistant (Permanent and Temporary positions)
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team
The role as Ticket Barrier Assistant, you are the first person and the last that our customers meet and can be a very busy environment. The Gateline Assistants operating the Ticket Barrier also collects revenue from customers travelling without tickets. The work is sometimes challenging, but it can be a very rewarding job
About the job?
The purpose of the job is to be the face of Great Western Railway and to give our customers a positive impression of the company and to exceed their expectations of customer service
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Delivering a great experience to our customers
- Assisting in the day to day operation of the automatic ticket gates
- Ensuring customer security and responding to customer enquiries
- Inspecting and issuing tickets
- Addressing customer needs during times of service disruption
- Ensuring the professional appearance of the Ticket Barrier area by clearing rubbish and making sure customer walkways are unobstructed.
You'll need to be:
- Able to deliver exceptional front line customer service
- A Self-starter with a can do attitude
- Confident when decision making
- Able to remain calm yet directive in a crisis
- Able to work to strict procedures
As a minimum you will need to have:
- The ability to work as part of a team or independently
- Evidence of numerical ability
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of working in an environment where safety is paramount
This role involves shift working, including weekends and bank holidays. The earliest shift start is 0600 hours and latest shift finish would be 0030 hours.
This advert is to create a talent pool of suitable candidates when roles (permanent/temporary) become available.
Candidates successfully shortlisted will be invited to undertake a competency based interview. The successful candidate will be required to meet the medical standards of the role, including drugs and alcohol screen. A Basic DBS is also required.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Customer Experience
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Closing Date:25 September 2023