IT Network Engineer
Salary: upto £38,000 (depending on experience)
Who we are?
GWR is the proud custodian of one of the most prestigious railway networks in the world. Our services call at over 275 stations, stretching across the South West of England.
We aim to transform the way people think about rail travel by setting a new standard – a better experience for our customers. Together we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the job?
We're looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual who has a real flair for technology mixed with a passion for providing exemplary service to our customers to join our team as an IT Network Engineer. You'll be dealing with and involved in a large-scale corporate network with plenty of opportunities to also be part of a sizeable network change project.
You'll be supporting the IT Network Manager in ensuring all network solutions are delivered and supported to the highest standards. You'll be delivering specialist support across LAN, WAN and Wi-Fi working closely with the IT Service Delivery team, transferring knowledge whenever possible. To work collaboratively with FirstGroup, third parties and the rest of the IT team on any network related developments/projects.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To support, maintain and improve the corporate network at GWR, including wifi
- To provide technical assistance in the delivery of any projects with a network component
- To create network designs, diagrams, configurations and implementation plans
- To manage work packages as part of the LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi and Station projects
- To assist in the handover of services in to support and improve the customer service
- To attend GWR locations to perform physical surveys and implement new services
- To assist in the delivery of security-based solutions
- To contribute to the IT Team in identifying new and innovative technical solutions
- To provide specialist 3rd line support for network related tickets raised via the incident management system
You'll be a great communicator who's able to build and maintain meaningful working relationships with the team, internal colleagues, stakeholders and 3rd party service providers.
You'll bring with you an understanding of technology within enterprise networks, WAN/LAN/VOIP/Wireless and SD-WAN.
You'll enjoy working collaboratively to problem solve, to partner with the business and 3rd party suppliers to provide advice, guidance, and challenge where appropriate making sure the right, commercially astute solutions are adopted.
You'll have the ability and adaptability to respond to changing priorities whilst working under pressure with an eye for detail.
It goes without saying that you'll have Network Management and design experience and a background in managing a large corporate network.
If you are naturally inquisitive with a genuine desire to understand your business area to provide a better service and truly make a difference, we would love to hear from you.
What are the working hours?
37 hours per week. Due to the nature of the role, there will be element of out of hours, on-call.
About the location?
Whilst the role is based in Milford House, Swindon, you will be required to travel across our network to meet with internal customers. There is also the flexibility to work from home.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family and other travel benefits, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. The broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity, and inclusion at every level.
If you share our passion for the railway, then we would love to hear from you.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Milford House, Swindon
- Closing Date:6 December 2021