Lead Customer Host
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team?
Reporting to the On-Board Service Manager, you will be working as part of the Onboard Service team based at the station and will be part of a large team of Customer Hosts. You will work onboard our intercity express trains as part of a small team, alongside the Train Manager and Revenue Protection colleagues, to deliver the safest and best service possible to GWR customers whilst they travel onboard.
About the job?
You will be working a variety of shifts to make up an average 35 hour working week. This role is a sales-based role with high levels of customer service. You'll give a professional, friendly welcome to our customers, providing assistance and information whilst you work onboard. However, no two days are the same. One day you may be offering the GWR at- seat trolley service to customers in standard class with a wide selection of refreshments and snacks, and the next you will be serving our first-class customers the GWR complimentary range. All this whilst supporting your team, protecting revenue, and ensuring the safety of passengers and your fellow colleagues.
Your main responsibilities will be:
• To promote and sell GWR products onboard our trains by engaging our customers whilst they travel, ensuring they have the journey they deserve.
• To work to the highest standards as set by the business.
• To be an ambassador for Great Western Railway by following our Values to give excellent customer service.
• Provide the best possible at-seat service to our First-Class customers.
• To ensure GWR safety principles are always adhered to, providing the safest possible journey for customers.
• To maintain a clean, hygienic and pleasant environment
You'll need to be:
• From a sales or customer service background
• Passionate about delivering outstanding customer service.
• Flexible, with the ability to work a selection of shifts over the weekend.
• Driven to deliver high level of sales.
• Proactive with a ‘can do' attitude.
• Comfortable working in a regulated environment.
As a minimum you'll need to have:
• Cash handling and card payment experience
• Excellent communication skills
• The ability to work well with others as part of a team or on your own
• Previous experience of food safety is desirable
• Stock control and ordering experience is desirable
The Lead Customer Host role requires you to work shifts on a rota system, giving you plenty of notice in advance through a roster system. Shifts can start as early as 04:30 in the morning and finish as late as 01:30 at night. You will be required to work Sundays as part of your shift allocation on a 1 in 3 basis. Your working day will be a maximum of 10.5 hours and 12 hours rest will be given between allocated shifts.
Additional important information:
Equipment including a GWR mobile phone as well as full uniform is provided which you will have to wear to the uniform standard, including safety shoes.
Applicants must live within one hour's travelling time from the depot and must be able to get to and from work for early starts and late finishes without relying on public transport.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Customer Service
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:Bristol Temple Meads
- If temporary, length of contract:12 Months
- Closing Date:12 June 2023