Multi Skilled Technician
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team?
As a Technician, you will work as part of a multi skilled team who are key to ensuring our fleet are correctly marshalled, delivered and presented to our customers on time. You will be involved in many activities that are vital to the running of our busy maintenance depot at Long Rock and will be encouraged to participate in improving processes.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To carry out maintenance activities, fault finding and defect rectification/reporting across a varied fleet of trains
- Carrying out heavy component changes
- Attending out of course failures on the main and branch lines across Cornwall
- Providing technical support as and when required
- Completing general Depot duties
- Carrying out safety critical and non-safety critical tasks in accordance with controlled technical instructions
You'll need to be:
- Focused on the needs of our customers and the impact that the depot has on them
- Able to work to set deadlines and be punctual
- Acutely aware of the required safety standards and aware of your responsibilities
- Able to read and understand engineering schematic drawings
- Flexible and willing to go the extra mile
- Aware of 6S and developing new and improved ways of working
- Able to work a rotating shift pattern which will include day, night, weekend, and bank holiday shifts
- Prepared to work at other locations, outside of Penzance when required
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- An NVQ level 3 or Apprentice trained in an Electrical/ Mechanical discipline (ideally both given the multi skilled requirement of the role)
- A background in Engineering
- Experience of working as part of a team and on your own initiative
- IOSH training would be desirable
The successful candidates will be joining one of our four existing teams with various rosters which are aligned to workload and therefore could be changed to meet these needs.
Successful candidate will be subject to a safety critical medical.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:Penzance Depot
- Closing Date:26 September 2022