Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team
The Performance Manager role is a vital part of the Train Service Delivery & Performance Directorate. The team works with all GWR functions to develop and deliver cross functional performance improvement initiatives, innovate in the performance space and ensure interactions are not isolated to just GWR. A close working relationship with the wider industry is essential in the delivery of this role's objectives.
To be successful you will need to be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of railway operations and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organisation.
About the job
A Performance Manager focuses on finding solutions to train service performance problems using a range of skills including data analysis, identifying systemic blockers and facilitating cross-functional conversations. A successful Performance Manager identifies future risks to train service performance and develops mitigation plans, with support from the affected departments, to provide holistic solutions in the form of performance initiatives.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Interpreting train service performance data to identify areas for performance improvement.
- Delivering strategic performance initiatives.
- Closely monitoring business developments that may impact on train service performance risk to identify and develop proactive mitigation plans.
- Working closely with the Train Service Delivery Managers to understand any ‘off route' risks to train service performance.
- Consulting and supporting GWR departments on the delivery of their performance improvement initiatives.
- Developing innovative solutions to train service performance challenges.
- Identifying opportunities for funding of initiatives to improve train service performance.
You'll need to be:
- Be passionate about delivering train service performance improvement across the GWR network.
- Analyse different forms of data to see trends in performance that indicate a need for improvement. Developing holistic mitigation plans from this insight.
- Be an astute stakeholder manager with the ability to present with clear articulation.
- Be a resilient, reliable and hardworking team player.
- Have high levels of energy, drive and commitment to deliver tangible results.
What do I need?
As a minimum you will need to have:
- Experience working with different stakeholders and interpreting multiple data sources.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- A high level of written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of industry performance regimes.
About the location
Flexible but with an expectation that travelling on the network is the best way to understand our train service and the proposition we provide our customers.
Please note that should we receive a high level of interest the vacancy may close earlier than the advertised date, so please ensure that you submit your application as soon as possible.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
At GWR we value diversity. Our vision for inclusion and diversity is:
We are progressive. We are one family. We are inclusive. First time, every time.
Valuing our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQ+, ethnicity, religion, and disability, means that every colleague has a voice and is supported to be their authentic self at work.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Milford House, Swindon
- Closing Date:27 September 2021