Semi-skilled Engineer and Shunter
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team?
Saint Philips Marsh is home to the West Fleet's DMU as well as Maintaining a variety of other T&RS Including HSS and 08 Shunters. Saint Philips Marsh work to a tight exam regime and day/night servicing which is challenging to achieve a safe, clean and prompt service delivery for our customers.
About the job?
You will be working within teams to provide support to the Multi-Skilled Technicians, covering all aspects of maintenance tasks primarily on the West Fleet DMUs with clear focus on safety, team working and service delivery.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Assisting FO3 grade Engineers servicing and maintaining Rail vehicles
- Forklift Driving, operating
- Battery Maintenance
- Underframe Train Cleaning
- Ensuring rail vehicles are safe to be moved after work has been completed.
- Couple/Uncouple, Shunt & Prepare Rail Vehicles when trained to do so.
- Ensure that trains are presented to the customer in a correctly marshalled and fully prepared condition.
You'll need to be:
- Able to exchange information to solve problems and participate in decision making.
- Able to create and maintain the necessary safe conditions for work activity.
- Actively participating in improving processes and safe operational flexibility.
- Shift work of nights and weekends
As a minimum, you will need to have:
- Strong compliance to safety standards at all times.
- Ability to work alone and/or within a Team
- Must pass safety critical medical
- Must pass a psychometric exam
- Provide evidence of an Engineering background
- Must of work in an Engineering environment
- The successful candidate must be based within a 60 minute commute of the depot.
- If there is more than one successful applicant a reserve list will be created to fill roles which may arise within the next 6 months which may be of an alternative shift type.
- The successful candidate will need to pass a online shunter assessment process and pass a safety critical medical.
- The ability to live within a maximum of 60 minutes travelling time to the depot you apply for. (This means able to travel to work within 60 minutes for both your own travel and using public transport, which is not negotiable)
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Engineering
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:St Philips Marsh Depot
- Closing Date:25 September 2023