Senior Internal Communications Manager
About the job
• Deputise for the Head of IC in key strategic meetings, on priority GWR and industry projects and advise and support the Executive team.
• Oversee and coordinate the internal comms support for business leads in the Annual Business Plan to develop short, medium and long term campaigns and content to tell the story of progress that keeps colleagues up to date with progress, explains why it is important, what it means for them and what it means for the business and wider industry.
• Support members of the IC team to ensure all deliverables of the IC strategy are successfully delivered and within timescale.
• Assist the Head of IC in the on-going IC strategy for the overall workforce reform project plan and work with the IC team to implement.
• Assist the Head of IC with the strategic planning and oversight of key leadership events, including the annual Leadership Conference and the Colleague Excellence Awards.
• Liaise with the wider communications teams as necessary to ensure joined up comms for colleagues, customer and stakeholders are identified and managed effectively.
Ultimately, you will ensure we support the business, support colleagues so they feel engaged and informed, have trust in the leadership team, are proud to work for GWR and have confidence in our future.
You'll need to be:
• A proven communicator and internal communication specialist, with a track record of delivering strategic internal communications that are rooted in best practice.
• Ability to successfully deputise and lead the team
• Ability to influence at Director and Senior Leader level.
• Ability to work collaboratively and build strong working relationships with diverse employee groups and stakeholders, including senior executives.
• A track record of developing and delivering communications campaigns to engage employees in a complex and changing environment.
• Have large scale event management experience.
• Self-motivated with an ability to use initiative and be proactive, spotting opportunities and advising senior leaders on comms activity.
• Agile in your approach and comfortable working in an environment where there is constant change.
As a minimum you'll need to have:
• Appropriate qualifications (CIPR, CIM or IoIC qualification or Chartership, or equivalent qualification or experience), evidence of continuous professional development and experience of working in PR, digital, news or communications team that makes you an accomplished communicator and trusted professional advisor.
• A proven track record of a minimum of 3 years of building relationship with key stakeholders and delivering strategic internal communications that supports colleagues to feel engaged, trust leadership teams and perform well
• Experience of leading and influencing colleagues to communicate how we are delivering complex change, reform and transformation and support colleagues so they are clear on the reasons why and the role they play
• Experience of being part of business wide strategic steering groups that support and drive delivery of business wide objectives
• Experience of collaborating with industry groups to develop local communications strategies for industry change and reform
About the location:
The post will be based in Swindon with working from home and out on the network. The successful candidate will be required to be mobile and travel all over the network.
There will be a requirement to be available out of hours during times of significant disruption.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a wide range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family and other travel benefits, company sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Milford House, Swindon
- If temporary, length of contract:12 months
- Closing Date:15 August 2022