Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer
Salary: upto £50,000 (depending on experience)
Who we are?
GWR is the proud custodian of one of the most prestigious railway networks in the world. Our services call at over 275 stations, stretching across the South West of England.
We aim to transform the way people think about rail travel by setting a new standard – a better experience for our customers. Together we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the Team?
The GWR IT infrastructure team is a part of the GWR IT team who technically manage the IT systems and client devices at GWR. We manage the Windows and Linux HP servers, virtual servers, and VMware platforms across a wide geographic area, two data centres plus a presence in Azure and AWS. We also manage the client side mobile, laptop and desktop estates. The team is also responsible for systems access management, application delivery, client security and remote access. We utilise AD, AAD, Zenworks, Office 365, FSx, RDS, Always-On, plus other systems and security tools to accomplish this.
About the job?
The Senior IT Infrastructure position is a dedicated 3rd line infrastructure role to assist the IT Infrastructure Manager maintain the current IT infrastructure whilst also delivering a range of infrastructure enhancements across the business.
What will I be doing?
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Work closely with GWR IT Security team to resolve device and infrastructure vulnerabilities
- Assist the wider IT team to deliver IT projects for the business
- Work closely with IT Infrastructure manager to manage IT infrastructure on behalf of GWR
- Day to day management and maintenance of VMware, Azure and AWS infrastructure
- Day to day management of AD and AAD, Windows server estate, server and FSx backups
- Represent GWR when working with suppliers and our parent company FirstGroup
- Act as third line escalation for incidents and requests
- Work closely with other areas of the business when advising on IT technical solutions and requirements
- With the Infrastructure team, create and maintain technical IR and DR playbooks
- Develop Highly Available and highly resilient IT technical systems
- Develop and maintain infrastructure documentation and registers
- Conduct regular backup integrity checks
- With the Infrastructure team, conduct infrastructure DR exercises
- Maintain and manage physical Data Centre environments including cabinets, servers, storage, UPS, and environmental monitoring
With a background in IT Infrastructure, you'll thrive in a fast-paced environment, working to tight deadlines, manage multiple activities and prioritise your time and workload effectively.
You'll bring with you a blend of great communication skills and the desire to provide a high-quality IT Support service. You'll enjoy building and maintaining meaningful working relationships with the IT technical teams and 3rd party suppliers.
You'll have previous experience of managing and delivering technical work streams and being the technical lead on smaller Security based technical projects.
As a minimum you'll need to have experience and/or qualifications in:
- Managing Active Directory
- Managing VMware infrastructure and VMware hosted virtual machines
- Managing Azure infrastructure
- Managing AWS infrastructure
- Microsoft SCCM configuration and management
- Office 365 administration and eDiscovery
- Microsoft Office 365 Products
- Microsoft server operating systems
- The use of PowerShell
- DNS, domain registration, PKI
So, if you enjoy delivering pragmatic solutions and provide a truly excellent service that makes a difference then we would love to hear from you.
About the location?
We are based in the GWR HQ in Milford House, Swindon. Due to the nature of the role occasional travel throughout the GWR network may be required.
9 to 5 standard working day. Due to the nature of the role, you'll be required to cover IT security and work demands out of hours.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, and an Employee assistance programme.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. And the broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity, and inclusion at every level.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Milford House, Swindon
- Closing Date:6 December 2021