Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the job?
You will be an integral part of the depot maintenance team who are responsible for ensuring our depot and trains are presented to the highest standard for our customers. You will be working a permanent day shift across a 7-day rota which will include weekends and bank holidays.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To undertake shed and other depot cleaning duties
- To carry out train cleaning activities and use of chemicals & techniques in accordance with relevant manuals and specifications.
- Seek out ways to improve standards and flexibility within the cleaning team
- Create, enhance and maintain effective working relationships
- Create and maintain the necessary safe conditions for work activity and comply with all safety standards
You'll need to be:
- Able to demonstrate evidence of working on your own and within a team
- Able to complete tasks to a set standard, in accordance with specification/procedure and to deadlines
- Committed to delivering cleaning to the highest standard both inside & outside of the train and able to follow written instructions
- Enthusiastic and well organised in your approach towards work
- Able to deal with bio hazards, such as blood and the safe disposal of sharps i.e. discarded syringes, broken glass and razor blades
- Willing to learn new skills and participate in training
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- Previous cleaning experience is essential, preferably gained in a production or warehouse environment
- NVQ level 1 or 2 in cleaning and/or support services or working towards this would be highly desirable
- Desirable to have completed or participating in Business Improvement Training (BIT)
- Knowledge of COSHH and Health and Safety at Work. IOSH training would be desirable
- The application process for this role will involve completing an online verbal reasoning test.
- If there is more than one successful applicant, a reserve list will be created for other roles which become available at the depot within the next 6 months which may be on a different shift type.
- The ability to live within a maximum of 60 minutes travelling time to the depot you apply for. (This means able to travel to work within 60 minutes for both your own travel and using public transport, which is not negotiable)
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:St Philips Marsh Depot
- Closing Date:27 March 2023