Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the job?
Working within our Stores team at St Philips Marsh Depot in Bristol you will be responsible for the replenishment of engineering spares, issuing them to our Production team to allow train maintenance to be completed safely, efficiently and on time. Our Stores serve a diverse number of fleets operating 24/7 to deliver maximum availability for our customers.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Serving our customers within Production
- Allocating stock to the correct cost centre on IMFS
- Use of appropriate waste disposal procedures
- Picking, counting and replenishment of stock
- Fuel counts across the depot
- Unloading and loading of vehicles
- Operation of fork lift trucks and other company vehicles
- Various other duties as required to keep the stores department running effectively
You'll need to be:
- Flexible in your approach to work and able to work a rotating shift pattern
- Able to undertake and pass Fork lift Driver training
- Proficient with computer systems
- Understanding of the importance of material supply to the production process and willing to implement changes where required
- Able to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
As a minimum, you will need to have:
- Previous experience of working in a stores or warehouse environment
- Capability of working and building relationships with our customers.
- A working knowledge of Word, Excel & Outlook and able to learn new IT systems
- An eye for detail and able to work to deadlines
- A willingness to learn, adaptability and a can-do attitude.
This position will be working a four on four off shift pattern which will include early, late and night shifts.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, and an Employee assistance programme.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:St Philips Marsh Depot
- Closing Date:12 December 2022