Ticket Examiner (Part Time Mornings)
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world and with the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel.
About the team?
An ideal job for those who have found they now have extra time on their hands, you will be an integral part of our on-board teams, helping us to deliver our vision of revaluing rail in the hearts and minds of the travelling public. You will be working closely with Guards as well as colleagues based at stations and our Revenue Protection Inspectors.
What is the job?
As a Ticket Examiner, you will deliver a world-class customer experience throughout the journey and will ensure the safety of everyone using GWR services. The purpose of the role is to ensure all customers travel with a valid ticket for their journey. You will be able to adapt to new people, new places and new situations. We are proud in GWR to share a common set of values – these help us deliver for our customers, drive business growth and serve our communities across the West.
What are the responsibilities?
- To be an ambassador for Great Western Railway by delivering the best customer experience and a safe journey.
- Sell a wide range of tickets, offering the most appropriate product to suit the customer's requirements, and undertake a full inspection of tickets and railcards on trains.
- Undertake revenue protection activities around special events.
- Issue Penalty Fares to customers where appropriate, in accordance with The Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 2018.
- To welcome customers and assist them with their journey, especially when the service is disrupted.
- Whilst walking through the train, ensure that a safe, pleasant and clean train environment meets required standards.
What sort of person are you looking for?
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and passionate about delivering outstanding customer service. You will need to be flexible to cover a variety of different shifts with a positive and proactive outlook and attitude. Each shift will be four hours in the mornings with varying starting times, over five days, giving you free afternoons. You will have the ability to work effectively when under pressure without becoming flustered.
What will I need?
- An understanding of customers' needs
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to build relationships and work as part of a team
- Experience of front-line customer service
- The resilience and fortitude of mind to remain calm and professional in confrontational situations
Where is the job?
This position is based at Bristol Temple Meads station, and this is where you will start and end your shifts. The station has a range of food outlets.
You will be working four hours a day for five days. The earliest starting time will be 04:45 and the latest finish will be 13:15.
What else do I need to know?
You must live within a maximum of 60 minutes' travelling time of the depot.
Please note that training for this position is full time (Monday to Friday) for three weeks.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping, and an employee assistance programme.
The basic salary during probation is £19,906 pro rata, rising to £23,181 pro rata after probation. Additionally, you will earn commission on the ticket sales you make.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Customer Service
- Contract Type:Permanent - Part Time
- Contracted Hours:20
- Location:Bristol Temple Meads
- Closing Date:26 September 2022