Train Care Operative - Nights
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world. We have some of the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall and South Wales to London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team of over 6,000 people from all different backgrounds to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will revalue rail as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the job?
As a Train Care Operative, you will be working as part of a dedicated and hardworking team who are responsible for the presentation of the GWR fleet. The team ensure the interior and exterior of our contracted trains are cleaned to a high standard to deliver comfort and a great experience for our customers.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To carry out all cleaning activities with use of chemicals and techniques in accordance with relevant manuals and specifications
- To seek out ways to improve standards and flexibility within the cleaning team
- Create, maintain and enhance effective working relationships
- To comply with safety standards at all times
You'll need to be:
- Able to cover physically demanding cleaning duties
- Able to demonstrate evidence of working on your own and within a team
- Able to complete tasks to a set standard and in accordance with specification/procedure
- Committed to delivering cleaning to the highest standard both inside and outside of our trains
- Able to deal with bio hazards, such as blood & other bodily fluids and the safe disposal of sharps i.e. discarded syringes & razor blades
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- NVQ level 1 or 2 Cleaning and Support Services or working towards this
- An understanding of COSHH and Health and Safety at work
- Strong communication skills
- Previous experience in cleaning and/or support services
- Desire to want to learn new skills
Vacancies will be working night shifts across a 7-day rota which will include weekends and Bank Holidays.
This campaign will also be used to create a reserve list for applicants to fill vacancies which may arise within the next six months.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and gym membership and an employee assistance programme.
We all belong at GWR. This is our vision for providing an inclusive environment for all our colleagues, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA, ethnicity, religion and disability. We maintain zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:Great Western Railway (GWR)
- Website Skillset:Engineering
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:Reading Train Care Depot
- Closing Date:25 September 2023