Commercial Analyst (Hull or Newcastle)
Hull Trains have been in the rail business for over twenty-one years, and we put our success down to our people. Many of our employees have developed successful careers with us and now we're looking for further passionate and positive people to join our team.
We deliver 94 services a week direct to London King's Cross from Beverley and Hull and have been regularly rated as one the UK's best rail operators for passenger satisfaction. Customer experience is what we're well known for and within our home city we work closely with local charities and organisations to deliver a vital service for the people of Hull and East Riding and its economy.
Now with an impressive fleet of bi-mode Class 802 state-of-the-art trains, our Paragon fleet is one the most modern and environmentally friendly on the UK's rail network.
As an ambitious Open Access rail operator, we're proud to carry the name of Hull down the East Coast Main Line to the capital and we're excited to be planning our long-term future.
Part of our long-term future includes our joint alliance with our sister company, Lumo.
Lumo is a new transformational, innovative and digital open access train company who provide regular, cost effective, 100% electric train travel between London and Edinburgh. An alternative to flying that is cheaper, kinder to the environment and just as time effective as taking a domestic flight.
Would you like to be part of our journey?
We are recruiting for a Commercial Analyst to join our team on a permanent basis with the option to reside at our Hull or Newcastle offices.
The primary purpose of the role to grow Hull Trains / Lumo revenue through implementation of revenue management strategies. The role will require in depth analysis of the revenue performance to ensure that the product and pricing strategies are delivering to the business, ensuring they are optimised through continuous improvement.
37 hours per week, salary is £25,000 per annum, excellent benefits package including free and discounted rail travel and 5 weeks annual leave plus Bank Holidays
What you will be expected to deliver:
- Manage Hull Trains / Lumo range of yield-managed ‘Advance' tickets to maximise passenger revenue using revenue management systems. This includes managing and opening of Hull Trains / Lumo services within the reservation system.
- Monitor the wider trading environment including competitor pricing and events impacting demand and implementing appropriate revenue management strategies to optimise revenue.
- Work with the Product & Inventory Manager to develop and implement Hull Trains / Lumo pricing strategy and prepare tactical proposals for the fares setting rounds in January, May and September of each year. This includes updating the fares within the Product Management System (PMS) ensuring all necessary compliance is achieved.
- Work with the Product & Inventory Manager to develop and implement Hull Trains / Lumo Retail strategy and prepare tactical proposals for revenue protection.
- Ensure Hull Trains / Lumo services are correctly set up for reservations
- Management of communication of product and pricing changes both internally such as with retail staff within Hull Trains / Lumo and externally such as other relevant Train Operating Companies (TOC's) and tourist offices.
- Work closely with other members of the Hull Trains / Lumo team to drive change and develop innovative and new product opportunities.
- To analyse the value of specific commercial activities and ensure that it allows for continuous improvement in regard to achieving commercial goals.
- Provide regular reporting on the revenue performance of Hull Trains / Lumo, including insight into how it could be improved.
- As required work on cross-TOC dashboards to provide business intelligence to both Hull Trains & Lumo businesses, ensuring insight is actionable.
- Ensure that Hull Trains / Lumo receives a fair share of income allocated by the industry allocation system and proactively manage Income Allocation Disputes (IADs), providing a clear methodology to clarify our approach to these.
- To undertake activities as directed by the line manager to maximise every opportunity to delight our customers and enhance our revenue.
The knowledge or experience you will need:
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent professional qualification
- Knowledge of Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook and web-based programs is essential.
- Knowledge of Lennon, PMS, and Revenue Management software is advantageous.
- Previous pricing analysis and revenue management experience within the transport or travel sector is essential.
- Strong commercial understanding with a proven track record of delivering revenue generating projects on time.
- A proven analytical and problem-solving skillset, working to a high degree of accuracy.
- Highly organised, team player who can handle multiple projects at once and prioritise workload.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbally.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of what is happening in the wider transportation industry and the implications that local decisions have on other parts of the organisation.
At Hull Trains and Lumo, we are committed to encouraging equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level in our business, and ensuring an inclusive and open working environment.
The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, to help us to better understand their needs and to deliver more creative and innovative solutions.
- Company:Hull Trains
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Cherry Court, Hull
- Closing Date:18 August 2022