Operations Development Manager
Closing date 11th August 2022
We've been in the rail business for over twenty-one years, and we put our success down to our people. Many of our employees have developed successful careers with us and now we're looking for further passionate and positive people to join our team.
We deliver 94 services a week direct to London King's Cross from Beverley and Hull and have been regularly rated as one the UK's best rail operators for passenger satisfaction. Customer experience is what we're well known for and within our home city we work closely with local charities and organisations to deliver a vital service for the people of Hull and East Riding and its economy.
Now with an impressive fleet of bi-mode Class 802 state-of-the-art trains, our Paragon fleet is one the most modern and environmentally friendly on the UK's rail network.
As an ambitious Open Access rail operator, we're proud to carry the name of Hull down the East Coast Main Line to the capital and we're excited to be planning our long-term future.
Would you like to be part of our journey?
We are recruiting for an Operations Development Manager to join our Hull Trains team on a 9 month fixed term contract until 15 May 2023.
The primary purpose of the role is to support the Operations Team in delivery of the East Coast Digital Programme (ECDP), which include implementing a robust training plan and key projects to deliver a safe and reliable service.
What you will be expected to deliver:
- To ensure the safety of employees and customers and adherence to the safety management system.
- Contribute to the delivery of key industry and HT business projects, particularly East Coast Digital Programme (ECDP).
- Represent HT at relevant industry and stakeholder meetings, particularly in relation to operational projects and development.
- Support the Head of Operations to deliver requirements of the HT Business Plan and Safety Plan, with specific emphasis on delivery of parts relevant to ECDP.
- Interface with key stakeholders, particularly within the rail industry.
- Lead on the introduction of the Driver Simulator in readiness for the ECDP training.
- Support the Driver Manager and On Board Operations Manager with the leadership, motivation and coaching of their teams.
- Support the Driver Manager and On Board Operations Manager with line management functions, including return to work interviews, managing for attendance and performance management interviews.
- Support effective two-way communication with Drivers and On Board Managers, providing a visible presence to our traincrew and responding to ideas for improvement.
- Provide training to existing, trainee and contingent Drivers and/or On Board Managers, including Safety Update Days, rules training, route briefings and traction training.
- Undertake competence assessments for Drivers and/or On Board Managers.
- Use all relevant IT and operational systems to best advantage, including ACMS.
- Work as a Driver or On Board Manager and maintain own competence as such.
- Support the delivery of customer service, particularly during times of service disruption.
- Undertake Lead On Call Manager duties.
- Be flexible in their own working hours (subject to fatigue requirements) particularly when training, assessing or supporting Drivers or On Board Managers.
The knowledge or experience you will need:
- Knowledge of railway business, operational and service issues.
- Current or recent competence as a Driver or On-Board Manager (Guard).
- Experience as a line manager or supervisor.
- Excellent communication and people management skills.
- An energetic and enthusiastic approach to problem solving.
- A good understanding of Railway Industry Standards and relevant safety legislation.
- Experience in driving a cultural change in a similar industry (with critical safety, operational and commercial risks).
At Hull Trains we are committed to encouraging equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level in our business, and ensuring an inclusive and open working environment.
The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, to help us to better understand their needs and to deliver more creative and innovative solutions.
37 hours per week, Hull, salary is up to £65,000 per annum, dependant on Train Driver/Train Manager (Conductor) competency, (flexible working opportunities considered), excellent benefits package including free and discounted rail travel, 5 weeks annual leave plus Bank Holidays, cycle scheme and 50% gym paid membership fees.
- Company:Hull Trains
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Cherry Court, Hull
- If temporary, length of contract:9 Months
- Closing Date:11 August 2022