Qualified Train Driver - Talent pool
(Talent Pool), 35 hours, Hull, Circa £61,800, Job share opportunities considered
We've been in the rail business for over twenty years and we put our success down to our people. Many of our employees have developed successful careers with us and now we're looking for further passionate and positive people to join our team.
We deliver 92 services a week direct to London King's Cross from Beverley and Hull and are regularly rated as one the UK's best rail operators for passenger satisfaction. Customer experience is what we're well known for and within our home city we work closely with local charities and organisations to deliver a vital service for the people of Hull and East Riding and its economy.
Now with an impressive fleet of bi-mode Class 802 state-of-the-art trains, our Paragon fleet is one the most modern on the UK's rail network.
As an ambitious Open Access rail operator, we're proud to carry the name of Hull down the East Coast Main Line to the capital and we're excited to be planning our long-term future.
Would you like to be part of our journey?
We are recruiting Qualified Drivers for our Talent Pool to fill future vacancies.
You'll be responsible for the safe and timely transportation of our customers. Your greatest strengths will lie in your concentration and quick decision-making based upon your in-depth rules and regulation knowledge. You will enjoy working in a structured environment, adhering to set rules and procedures.
Please be aware that due to health and safety commitments, applicants are required to live within a reasonable commuting distance of Hull Station or be willing to relocate in line with this commuting range, prior to commencing the role.
We know that work content and link structure are key to helping you to make a decision on whether to apply for a role, so below are some key advantages of working at Hull Trains;
- We operate a single fleet of the most modern trains on the network: our 802 bi-mode units
- Our Drivers work a 4 day, 35 hours average week with a maximum of 55 hours and 8 rostered turns; Sundays are inside the working week.
- We have a 30 line roster, of which 2 full weeks are days off (in addition to your contracted leave)
- The 30 link roster (210 days) has 90 days off, 56 spare shifts and 4 training days.
- Spare movement is 3 hours without agreement. Over and above that, we pay an off roster payment.
- Our core route is Hull/Beverley to Kings Cross on ECML, with diversions via Goole, Hertford and Lincoln, with some overnight stays.
- The earliest start is 05.00 and latest book off is 00.50 (except the night fuel jobs of which there are 2 blocks of 4 in the 30 week link)
- We have a free day working agreement in place (currently to Dec 2021 for 9 hours with minimum pay at x1.5)
- Drivers terms and conditions has been enhanced with a productivity deal, enabling better clarity on day to day operations and improved conditions around ORR fatigue recommendations
If the above sounds good to you, we look forward to hearing from you.
What you will be expected to deliver:
- Prepare, drive and dispose of traction units safely, using the prescribed techniques as set out in the appropriate instructions
- Report Delays as necessary
- Comply with the rules as defined in the Rule Book other publications, training' then as it reads
- Maintain currency of route and traction knowledge specific to the role of Mainline Driver
- Locate, and where possible rectify faults following the correct procedure
- Ensure you are provided with, read and understand all safety critical information regarding the role of a driver
- Wear all uniform and PPE provided and carry ‘publications' with information
- Communicate effectively with, and assist other staff and customers in the interests of safety on/or customer service
The knowledge or experience you will need:
You will have an in depth working knowledge and understanding of Railway Rules and Regulations
You will have an excellent safety of the line record
You will be an EU Driver Licence Holder and have current competence as a Train Driver
You will have good communication and motivational skills to engage with all levels of staff
You will be able to assist colleagues and customers at all times
An energetic and enthusiastic approach to problem solving and teamwork is required
Assessment and/or instructing qualifications would be an advantage
Experience of passenger train working desirable
At Hull Trains we are committed to encouraging equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level in our business, and ensuring an inclusive and open working environment.
The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, to help us to better understand their needs and to deliver more creative and innovative solutions.
*If successful at all stages of the recruitment process, you will be placed in a Talent Pool for this depot, pending confirmation of available vacancies*
- Company:Hull Trains
- Website Skillset:Train Driver
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:35
- Location:Hull Railway Station
- Closing Date:21 October 2021