Commercial Guard - Yeovil
At South Western Railway we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
Our people are at the heart of our business! We are currently recruiting enthusiastic individuals to join our on-board team, responsible for delivering every-day exceptional experiences for our customers. As a train Guard you will be the centre piece of our on-board offering, going above and beyond for our customers, delighting them while getting them safely to their destination. Each day brings something different and the chance to manage your own train brings a level of empowerment not offered in many customer centric posts. With this in mind, our highly skilled Guards need to be self-motivated, personable, flexible and have the ability to multitask, ensuring that all duties are carried out to the high standards that our customers expect – all while travelling at speeds up to 110mph!
We are proud to operate one of the busiest train networks in the UK, our Guards keep our customers moving 364 days of the year and therefore, work shifts, which can mean early starts and late finishes. During each journey that our Guards embark on, they perform a multitude of tasks that can range from assisting a customer with additional needs to use our services, to taking control of an on-board incident while minimising performance and safety impact on the rest of the network. . Think you can handle that? Then this might be the job for you.
If you are a people's person who enjoys delivering excellent experiences and has a keen eye for detail, we would love to hear from you. Further details are listed below, or you can contact our friendly recruitment team to find out more.
We have found that individuals with the following personal traits perform well within the Guard role, enjoying a long and productive career at South Western Railway.
- Enjoy interacting with customers and colleagues while going over and above to provide a great customer experience.
- The ability to multitask and work systematically both in a team environment and autonomously.
- The foresight to recognize changing safety and customer requirements.
- The ability to keep focused and self-motivated for long periods of time.
what benefits do we offer?
There are some great benefits that you will receive when working with South Western Rail, some of which are listed below:
- Free rail travel onboard South Western Railway.
- Free rail leisure travel, for you and your partner / dependents onboard South Western Railway
- Discounted rail travel, for you and your partner / dependents with other Train companies.
- Discounted international rail travel after 1 year of service.
- Discounts on activities through SWR rewards.
- Employee reward and recognition scheme
- Comprehensive pension package.
- An annual leave entitlement of 30 days
- The opportunity for continued education with internal apprenticeships and development programs.
- We have a great support network ensuring an inclusive and supportive work environment.
How will I be rewarded?
£22,700 per annum rising in increments to £40,616 per annum after completion of training and a further 12 months fully qualified. Plus associated regional allowance of £451 and 5% commission on ticket sales.
What hours will I need to work?
On average 37 hours per week over 4.5 days
working a mixture of early and late shifts across 7 days.
Other important information
Because we always need to be alert, we have very strict requirements around drugs and alcohol and you will need to pass a medical checking your general health and eyesight to be able to be a guard. You will also need to be able to complete a number of assessments that make sure you are the right person for this exciting yet demanding role in delivering great journeys for our customers. Your travelling time to the depot you have applied for must not exceed 45 minutes and a car is preferred to make the early start and late finishes and finally, you must be over the age of 18.
Please note that if you are successful at the screening stage you will be invited to attend an assessment in Southampton. Please note that once a date is agreed you will be sent a complimentary travel invite and you must have a minimum of 18 months on your visa at the time of appointment.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Customer Service
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Yeovil Junction
- Closing Date:27 May 2023