Customer Experience Manager (Product & Design)
Who are we?
South Western Railway (SWR) operates over 1,500 services each weekday across the network and employs more than 5,000 people. We provide easy and convenient mobility, connecting people and communities in South West London, southern counties of England and the Isle of Wight.
Join our team and help us continue to improve quality of life by bringing people together to get the most out of life.
SWR is part of FirstGroup, the largest rail operator in the UK and second largest bus operator in the UK outside London. FirstGroup operates services throughout the UK and Ireland, with over 30,000 employees providing services that make travel smoother and life easier. FirstGroup works hard to reduce its impact on the environment, introducing cleaner and more environmentally responsible methods of transport.
About the job
These roles will become more focused on representing the customer groups (leisure, commuter and business) across the business and in finding, and then implementing products or creating standards or processes to close gaps in our current customer experience based on journey mapping.
This role will identify the customer need using R&I and the larger business objectives that a product or feature will fulfil, show what success looks like to a product and turn the vision into reality. They will engage with key stakeholders internally and externally to make sure that the product or process takes onboard key feedback and is therefore successful in it's implementation before handing over the Customer Experience Team or other BAU team.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Represent the customer groups across the business (Commuter, Leisure, Business), ensuring effective relationships with stakeholders, from front line customer facing colleagues to specialist departments and board members
- Make use of data and information gathered by the Research and Insight team to design and develop innovative products or process which address the challenges or gaps identified.
- Conduct research into products or processes used in other TOCS OR industries to seek out innovative products/processes or best practice that could work at SWR
- After identifying key processes or products to close the gap in customer experience, it will need to be understood how this product or process fits into the CX strategy or wider business strategy and plan how this can be turned from a vision into a reality.
- Write business cases that ensure the proposal is accurately costed and reflected to gain buy in and approval from key stakeholders/groups
- Work closely with key stakeholders and specialist teams to determine the direction and desired outcomes from the initiatives.
- Forge cross functional relationships and work closely with key internal and external stakeholders to influence the delivery and outcomes of any investment, recommended process change, or project delivery, ensuring that valuable insight and input is gathered for relevant projects
- Ensure appropriate evaluation measures are in place to determine the success of projects.
- Identify risks and opportunities to projects (including any anticipated resistance to change) and determine appropriate mitigation, ensuring that BAU performance levels are maintained throughout
- Keep abreast of innovation and products being developed and trialled elsewhere, both within and outside of rail, which may be applicable to SWR
- Measure projects and initiatives, updating at the Customer Steering Group, to track progress in delivery of our Strategy, alongside measures to assess performance against the standards you introduce.
- Provide expert support as required to other parts of the CX function
- Once projects are completed hand over to the Senior CX Team or other functions across the business to take on as BAU
- Experience of working within a trade union environment
- Experience of managing process change
- Project management qualification or experience in a relevant industry
- Relevant experience in the successful support of programmes or projects within in the rail industry
As a minimum, you will need to have:
- Customer first approach – the natural ability to, before all else, first see the world from the viewpoint of our customers
- Insight orientated – using insight to inform product design and innovation
- Natural focus on the needs/improvements that will bring the biggest benefit to our customers, and the sense of urgency and determination to make it happen at speed
- Significant experience of defining and developing innovative solutions, including both products and processes
- Change management gained within a large / complex operational business
- A strong commercial focus and is financially astute
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and successfully adapt to changing priorities
- Outstanding communication, presentation and influencing skills are a must, including the ability to effectively communicate proposals to senior leaders across the business to drive innovation
About the location
South Western Railways HQ is based on the 4th Floor at South Bank Central, a stone's throw from the River Thames and a 10 minute walk from our busiest station, Waterloo. It is local to many well-known attractions, restaurants and retail facilities and is easily accessible by public transport.
An average of 37 hours per week, typically office hours Monday - Friday.
You may be required to work outside of these hours, so flexibility is required.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
We all belong at SWR. FirstGroup's vision is to provide an inclusive environment for all colleagues, across its group of businesses, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA+, ethnicity, religion, and disability. We maintain a zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition, for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Customer Experience
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:South Bank Central
- If temporary, length of contract:12 months
- Closing Date:24 September 2023