Driver Competence Specialist (Inner)
To ensure the training and support for Operational Managers fully enables them to undertake their roles effectively and discharge their operational responsibilities.
Be a central point for operational management guidance.
Coach, mentor, develop, brief and assess existing and newly appointed Operational Managers so they are able to apply the skills and knowledge in the workplace to maximum effect.
Assist the Head of Operational Standards in monitoring, identifying, updating and maintaining operational standards and instructions for the safe and effective operation of South Western Railway.
Undertake both practical and underpinning knowledge assessments of staff in safety critical posts that require these competencies, and perform audit and assurance activities.
- Carry out Operational Standards On Call Duties
- Approve the development and delivery of operational training for Operational Managers.
- Coach, mentor, develop and assess newly appointed Operational Managers so they are able to apply their skills and knowledge to maximum effect within the workplace. This includes but not limited to:
- Conducting investigations at all levels, so they are good quality, proportional and recommendations are relevant and improve safety and operational performance.
- Conducting assessments so good practice is identified and shared, and areas for development are recorded and supported.
- Use of systems and process are efficiently used, including IT software, OTDR analysis and the competency management system.
- Support and development plans are being created that are robust, address the development identified and have relevant corrective actions.
- Understanding of Operational Procedures
- Support existing Operational Managers so good practice is adopted in a consistent way when undertaking the operational managerial areas of their role.
- Ensure regular briefings are conducted for Operational Managers, so they are continually updated on changes and are adopting good practice.
- Develop plans to ensure verification for Operational Managers is being conducted.
- Develop and maintain a system to ensure all Operational Managers are regularly monitored and assessed on their vocational skills and underpinning knowledge for the post they hold.
- Assist the Senior Competence Manager to monitor operating incidents, and dangerous occurrences to establish causes, determine trends and transferable lessons that are relevant to South Western Railway operation and other industry partners where necessary. Advise remedial action ensuring this is followed up and any recommendations implemented
- Support the Senior Competence Manager with signal sighting and sighting of other train operating equipment with Network Rail on behalf of SWR
- Assist with the development and achievement of higher safety standards through modern safety techniques, rules and regulations and instructions, staff to be fully trained and briefed
- Download and interrogate Data Recorders as required.
- Develop and maintain specialist or specific task based /workplace risk assessments, for tasks performed by Operational Managers.
- Significant prior expertise and experience in a leading operational role.
- Thorough knowledge of Rules and Regulations, Operating Instructions, Network Rail and Industry Standards and statutory legislation.
- Detailed knowledge of the routes and rolling stock operated by South Western Railway
- Must have a Driver Competency
- NVQ level 3 & 4 accredited assessor and verification certification
- Signal Sighting Competence
- Significant experience and understanding of risk assessment with ability to analyse and interpret numerical data.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to influence decision makers, senior managers and the behaviour of front-line employees.
- Ability to work on own initiative, self-motivated and able to set and achieve demanding targets and objectives, and report upon them.
Office hours, 5 days per week with on call commitments
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:South Bank Central
- If temporary, length of contract:until September 2022
- Closing Date:6 August 2021