Fleet Safety,Quality & Environmental Advisor
South Western Railway is committed to equal opportunities employment, and your application will be reviewed by the hiring panel with personal information removed. In order to assist this process please ensure that any attachments such as CV's or covering letter have personal details removed (this includes your name, address and email address). Any other attachments such as professional qualifications can be left unedited. Applications not following this guidance may be rejected.
To advise and assist the depots and safety managers on issues of policy on safety, quality and environment within the Engineering function in order to ensure ongoing compliance with company safety, quality and environmental policies and procedures, as well as standards and legislation.
To provide an interface with fleet depots for audits with respect to ISO certification.
Lead by example and ensure you comply with occupational health, quality safety and environmental rules, standards, current legislation within the Fleet Depots.
To assist with driving a positive safety culture within our depots.
- Ensure compliance with targets for Management Health, Safety & Environmental Tours and Safety Systems Audit plans for all Fleet locations. Report any shortfalls to the relevant Depot Manager.
- Lead safety audit and compliance checks for all locations in order to maintain The Fleet Environmental Certification accreditation to ISO14001.
- Implement any changes to systems and procedures to ensure that Fleet are consistently working to current company and legislation standards.
- Update and manage depot risk assessments and safety instructions to ensure that in principle adequate depth is given to the assessment process.
- Be able to lead cross functional safety meetings and write up reports.
- Carry out safety briefings to depot management and staff as necessary
- Assist the Fleet Safety Manager in developing new policies and procedures associated with Safety and Environmental issues. Monitor introduction of new procedures and address any issues raised locally to ensure consistent introduction across all depots.
- Ensure that safety and environment training is planned and conducted as requested by fleet depots.
- Give assistance to depot based staff to enable adherence of policies into depot procedures, and to introduce measures to confirm the adequacy of those procedures.
- Co-ordinate and ensure the provision of expert professional safety advice at local Health & Safety Committee meetings.
- Carryout a minimum of two be-safe tours per period to ensure management focus on hazardous conditions, inspections to staff engagement monitoring behaviours and assurance that SSOW and risk controls are suitable and effective as per the risk management maturity model (RM3).
- Ensure all WPP / RAMS are logged and reviewed from a safety perspective and feedback to relevant depot manager.
- Generate and provide periodic information inclusive of waste reporting (including hazardous waste, WEEE waste) and all safety related reports for every period.
- Analyse accident/near miss reports and evaluate injury case studies based on available facts
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies and standards (including HSE, EA, etc.)
- Visit depots to conduct safety audits on personnel, equipment and materials
- Ensure all safety actions from audits or findings are recorded and closed out with the appropriate evidence.
- Carry out Safety Toolbox talks within depots.
- Experience of managing Health Safety and Environmental activates within heavy industry.
- Good communicator with the ability to motivate staff and others.
- Sound understanding of Safety Legislation, Codes of Practice, Procedures etc and their application to resolve problems.
- A Good general education
- Safety qualification of NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent or working towards it.
- Internal Auditor qualification
- IOSH Managing Environmental Responsibilities or equivalent
- Personal Track Safety (PTS) – Not essential
- Report writing skills
- Pro-active dynamic approach
- Computer literate
- Flexible approach
- Attention to detail.
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to develop a safety strategy
Working an average of 37 hours over 5 days
There is a requirement to work varied shift patterns at short notice, additional out of hours, including late turns, nights and weekends as instructed.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
Please note applicants who require a visa, must have at least 6 months remaining at the time of their appointment.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from the most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Fixed Term - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Fratton Traincare Depot, Isle of Wight - Ryde
- If temporary, length of contract:9 months
- Salary:Up to £40,000 per annum
- Closing Date:9 December 2022