MB2 Shunter - Farnham TCD
The holder of this post is responsible to form up and shunt stock as directed. You will adhere to depot protection, safety, quality and environmental procedures, rules and regulations in force.
Scope: You will be responsible to the Duty Movements Manager.
- Form up service trains as specified by Duty Movements Manager and/or Panel Operator.
- To shunt stock as specified.
- To cover the position of Shunt Panel operator as a contingency when required, days, nights or weekends.
- To complete train preparation duties, including sand and screen wash.
- Report any defects found on stock or on Depot whilst carrying out duties.
- Work to laid down specifications and operating instructions.
- Comply with rules and regulations.
- Carry out/adhere to depot protection procedures, including the use of track disconnection switches.
- Work to be undertaken to comply with depot quality procedures.
- Ensure work is undertaken to meet service requirements.
- Work to be undertaken in a safe manner.
- Train/Mentor trainee shunters.
- Carryout winter precautions within the depot as per local instructions.
- Facilitate local inductions for contractors and visitors
- Work effectively as part of a team.
- Ensure all working areas are kept in a clean and safe condition
- Perform other duties as directed, within competency.
Specific Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications
- Experience working in an Operational environment
- Experience working within a Safety Critical environment
- Demonstrate ability to work on own initiative.
- Must hold a valid UK Driving Licence
As part of the role you will attend practical training courses to gain knowledge and qualifications in the following;
- Depot operating procedures and safety requirements.
- Personal Track Safety
- DC Electrified Lines.
- Passed out in Rules and Regulations as required
Safety, Quality and Environmental Responsibilities
- Ensure you personal safety and that of others at all times.
- Comply with all safety systems and responsibilities at all times.
- Develop a pro-active approach to safety issues.
- Report any accidents, assaults or near miss occurrences in accordance with local reporting procedures.
- Report any safety irregularities, faults or unusual occurrences in the prescribed manner.
- Ensure all relevant PPE for tasks/activities is always worn and in accordance with local safety instructions / risk assessments.
- Participate in all staff briefings to ensure you are informed of all relevant information.
- Examine all safety procedures, notices, publications, and instructions.
Working an average of 37 hours per week.
Monday to Friday, 08:00 - 16:00.
May also require 06:00 - 18:00 with occasional weekend work. Initial training will require some night shift work.
Please note this vacancy is subject to a closed listing, displaced MB2's may take priority.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Farnham Train Care Depot
- Salary:£30,734 per annum plus regional allowance
- Closing Date:3 October 2021