MB3 Maintenance - Salisbury TCD
Salisbury Depot is home to South Western Railway's award winning Class 15X diesel fleet. The engineering team at the depot are responsible for all aspects of maintenance and repair of the trains, this includes; engines, transmissions, electrical control equipment, HVAC and the passenger environment amongst many other systems.
Serving the West of England, the SWR Class 15X are the long-standing reliability and performance leaders in their field across the UK due to the hard working team at Salisbury depot. Knowledge, pride and accountability among everyone at Salisbury helps make it a great environment to work, thrive and deliver the best possible journeys for our customers.
Who are you?
You have experience working within Rail or a similar industry such as aerospace or motor and feel ready to take on that next challenge! You hold recognisable engineering qualifications such as an HNC or degree and keen to oversee a team of engineers. You have experience working in a safe manner and have a strong understand of safety legislations and quality procedures. You have the ability to write up reports, analyse and interrogate data and have a great eye for detail.
Main things you'll deliver
To service maintain, repair and overhaul traction units, components and equipment to specifications laid down by South Western Railway. As a Maintenance Band 3, you will be responsible for supervising and mentoring assistants, contractors and apprentices and provide on the job training where required. Tasks can range from examining and testing batteries to fault finding on various safety critical systems. You will adhere to Depot protection, quality procedures and rules and regulations that have been put in place and will ensure that all trains are fit for service before releasing them for our customers to enjoy.
Other responsibilities include:
- Undertake routine faultfinding on vehicles/components to identify faults/solutions and affect repairs.
- Undertake routine electrical and mechanical maintenance of components and systems in accordance with the relevant maintenance schedule.
- Complete environmental examinations against detailed specifications, detailing any issues found.
- Submit maintenance reports as required using appropriate paperwork/IT systems.
- Attend track calls and carry out repairs where appropriate.
- Undertake additional tasks/training as specified.
- Undertake work arising following failure or from maintenance procedures to ensure maximum vehicle availability.
- Carry out repairs or additional work arising from the examination (mechanical, electrical or vehicle building).
- Drive road vehicles as required and operate forklift trucks within depot confines.
- Prepare units for service ensuring a clean and presentable environment.
- Obtain, use and care for and return all tools and equipment used.
- Work effectively as part of a team, taking the lead when required.
- Compile formal reports detailing post incident/failure.
Working hours & Remuneration
Base salary for an MB3 Maintenance is £38,143 per annum plus a regional allowance, however many shift patterns offer additional enhancements plus potential opportunity for overtime. There may also be additional enhancements for working nights.
Working an average of 37 hours per week.
12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off - Permanent nightshift including weekends and bank holidays
Training & Qualifications
At SWR we believe in providing our staff with the best tools and training in order to carry out tasks to the best of their ability. Upon joining, you will attend practical courses at our training centre in Basingstoke where you will attain recognisable qualifications and information in the following areas:
- Depot operating procedures and safety requirements.
- Personal Track Safety
- DC Electrified Lines.
- Passed out in Rules and Regulations as required
“I started my career in SWR and the railway in September 2019 as a graduate on the Engineering Management Graduate Scheme. Two years on, I am now a full time Production Manager at Wimbledon Depot, and the first woman to be in this position which I am immensely proud of! The opportunities available to you within SWR and the railway are vast, and if there is something that interests you, the support is always there in developing your skill set.” – Jeena Gill (Production Manager)
"After spending 7 years in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), where I maintained Apache helicopters as an Avionics Technician, I chose to move into the rail industry as it offers a welcoming environment for ex-services personnel. I am able to use the qualifications and skills I have obtained over the years as many of them are directly transferrable into the sector. SWR have been able to offer me a challenging opportunity, empowering me to drive forward positive change to support our goals in providing the best service possible for our passengers!" – Micheal Lucas (Senior Production Manager)
Other important information - because we always need to be alert, we have very strict requirements around drugs and alcohol and therefore you will need to pass a medical, also checking your general health. You will also need to be able to complete a number of assessments that ensure you are the right person for this varied yet demanding role.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free standard duty travel and standard class leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free standard class leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant) , 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
Applicants who require a visa, must have at least 6 months remaining at the time of their appointment.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Salisbury Train Care Depot
- Salary:£38,143 per annum plus £451 regional allowance
- Closing Date:9 December 2022