MB3 Seasonal preparation & outstations fitter
South Western Railway is committed to equal opportunities employment, and your application will be reviewed by the hiring panel with personal information removed. In order to assist this process please ensure that any attachments such as CV's or covering letter have personal details removed (this includes your name, address and email address). Any other attachments such as professional qualifications can be left unedited. Applications not following this guidance may be rejected.
To undertake outstation and seasonal preparation activities on the fleets operated by SWR.
The holder of this post will be responsible for the maintenance, repair and CET of SWR rolling stock, including the testing of HVAC and sanding systems, testing of components and equipment in accordance with South Western Railway specifications as required. The holder will adhere to local instructions, safety, quality and environmental procedures, rules and regulations in force.
Outstation activities include (but are not limited to):
- Incident response.
- Work order completion.
- Technical investigation.
- Vehicle audits and inspections.
- Servicing and maintenance.
- CET Activities
Seasonal preparation activities include (but are not limited to):
- Wheel condition management.
- Sand hopper filling.
- HVAC condition management.
- Vehicle Maintenance requirements and campaigns for each season.
- Prepare units for service ensuring a clean and presentable environment.
- Complete environmental examinations, seasonal campaigns and modifications in accordance with detailed instructions, detailing any issues found.
- Undertake routine maintenance & fault finding on vehicles/components to identify faults/solutions and affect repairs.
- Submit maintenance reports as required using appropriate paperwork/ IT systems.
- Ensure that all SWR rolling stock at fleet out berthed locations have seasonal tasks undertaken, customer facing defects completed or logged where depot facility necessitates completion.
- Ensure that all SWR rolling stock at fleet out berthed locations have CET activities completed where necessary.
- Review IT systems & Downloads for defects and pro-actively monitor train defects and fix where appropriate.
- Attend track calls and carry out repairs where appropriate.
- Work effectively as part of a team. Providing Fleet outstations cover at alternative outstations when required.
- Supervise and mentor assistants, apprentices and contractors providing on the job training where required.
- Actively participate in the reporting of and logging of near misses.
- Liaise with Wessex Integrated Control Centre (WICC), station and depot staff when necessary.
- Undertake additional tasks & training to ensure business needs are met, as specified by their line manager.
- Appropriate electrical/mechanical engineering qualifications essential.
- Proven experience of working in a rail environment, preferably with electric and diesel traction, or a related industry.
- Good written, oral communication, numeric and IT skills.
- Good understanding of the routes covered by the SWR franchise.
- Knowledge of depot maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of company procedures and policies.
- Understanding of safety legislation and quality procedures.
- Ability to analyse and interrogate data.
- Considers the impact of business change on all risks.
- Understands and reports close calls.
- Road vehicle licence essential.
Please note this is a 40 hour roster with associated enhancements.
Permanent nights on a two week rolling roster.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free standard duty travel and standard class leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free standard class leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant) , 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from the most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Engineering & Mechanics
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Salary:£38,143 per annum plus £2,122 regional allowance
- Closing Date:31 October 2022