Regulatory Access Manager
South Western Railway is committed to equal opportunities employment, and your application will be reviewed by the hiring panel with personal information removed. In order to assist this process please ensure that any attachments such as CV's or covering letter have personal details removed (this includes your name, address and email address). Any other attachments such as professional qualifications can be left unedited. Applications not following this guidance may be rejected.
The post holder will be responsible for managing a wide range of regulatory interfaces, delivering compliance and maximum value from a portfolio of industry contracts held by South Western Railway (SWR) in relation to its access and leasing arrangements.
The position reports to the Head of Industry Partnerships and forms a key part of the team responsible for leading the development, commercial and strategic relationship with Network Rail. The post holder will deliver efficient contract management and provide regulatory expertise to business stakeholders. The post holder will administer and negotiate a range of contract and lease arrangements for SWR, achieving contractual compliance and best value as appropriate within the industry framework and franchise obligations. The role has a strong commercial focus, delivering key income and recovery streams for SWR, efficiently handling relevant compensation mechanisms, access charging and change processes.
- Act as a key point of contact for commercial and contractual matters for administering access contracts and leases and providing regulatory expertise to help meet business objectives.
- Support and mentor the team as necessary in the efficient and compliant delivery of regulatory access requirements, protecting the interests of the business, and seeking maximum revenue and savings.
- Procure and manage contractual arrangements with other train operating companies, Network Rail, industry parties, customers and suppliers.
- Implement an efficient and compliant process, working closely with internal stakeholders, in respect of regulatory change processes.
- Interface with Network Rail and stakeholders as necessary, to represent SWRs short and long term interests, in particular in relation to network and strategic development.
- Act as a key interface between SWR, Group Rail division and the Office of Rail & Road (ORR), ensuring application of changes to, or introduction of new regulatory policy or regimes governing relevant access contracts.
- Where appropriate liaise with Group Rail to ensure a coordinated response to relevant ORR or other industry consultations, ensuring any opportunities or risks to SWR in respect of its access contracts are understood.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to ensure franchise compliance in respect of regulatory access, supporting the business in delivering its franchise commitments.
- Provide regulatory guidance and expertise to other functions/directorates in respect of access and other contractual matters.
- Work closely with Finance functions to ensure accurate budget / forecasting and financial variance analysis, are delivered in respect of income and expenditure arising from access contracts.
- Provide regular or ad-hoc reports on activities, progress and achievements on all relevant workstreams as required.
Job specific Knowledge & Skills
- Educated to degree level.
- Working knowledge of industry Access contracts and regulatory processes.
- Administration and planning skills and experience of working within a cross-function business environment.
- A proactive and organised approach.
- Effective time management skills and an ability to work to deadlines.
- Proven numerate and analytical skills with good attention to detail.
- Sound contractual understanding.
- Knowledge of the operational railway and the contractual framework within which it operates would be a significant advantage.
Working an average of 37 hours per week over 5 days
Monday to Friday, office hours
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
Please note applicants who require a visa, must have at least 6 months remaining at the time of their appointment.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from the most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:South Bank Central
- Salary:up to £65,000
- Closing Date:22 March 2023