Safety Validation Manager
Who are we?
South Western Railway (SWR) operates over 1,500 services each weekday across the network and employs more than 5,000 people. We provide easy and convenient mobility, connecting people and communities in South West London, southern counties of England and the Isle of Wight.
Join our team and help us continue to improve quality of life by bringing people together to get the most out of life.
SWR is part of FirstGroup, the largest rail operator in the UK and second largest bus operator in the UK outside London. FirstGroup operates services throughout the UK and Ireland, with over 30,000 employees providing services that make travel smoother and life easier. FirstGroup works hard to reduce its impact on the environment, introducing cleaner and more environmentally responsible methods of transport.
About the job:
To manage the change management and safety validation process so that the safety risks associated with change projects are identified, understood and mitigated prior to implementation.
To support the Safety Risk & Change Manager with the ongoing maintenance and development of the South Western Railway Safety Management System (SMS) so that it remains compliant with applicable legal and other requirements – driving a reduction in risk and an improvement in safety performance. The key to this will be leading.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Manage the Safety Validation of change process to ensure that proposed changes comply with relevant legislation and standards, and do not adversely impact upon safety.
- Support the Safety Risk & Change Manager in the development and maintenance of the SWR SMS so that it remains fit for purpose, compliant with relevant legislation, industry standards and franchise commitments and drives continuous improvement.
- Support the Safety Risk & Change Manager in ensuring that the SMS has an effective process for recording, reporting and investigating accidents and incidents.
- Support the Safety Risk & Change Manager in ensuring that the SMS has effective processes for identifying, developing and monitoring safety assurance activities – undertaking SMS audits where required.
- Ensure the effective consultation and implementation of the processes and procedures that constitute the SMS.
- Maintain theoretical and practical competence in the field of safety management, including the application of relevant legislation and industry requirements.
- Continuously support the implementation and maintenance of the Company Document Control System within the Company to ensure the efficient distribution of instructions and standards.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach towards engagement around the SWR network, promote Be Safe & 6 Golden Rules practices and support positive Safety Culture.
You'll need to be:
- A formal safety management qualification (equivalent to NEBOSH diploma or working towards) is essential. Membership of IOSH is desirable.
- Experience in a safety or risk management role, preferably with three years experience of such a role in the UK Railway Industry.
- Sound understanding and experience of change control and safety validation processes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to influence decision makers and the behaviour of front-line employees.
- Ability to work on own initiative, self-motivated and able to set and achieve demanding targets and objectives, and report upon them.
About the location:
South Western Railways HQ is based on the 4th Floor at South Bank Central, a stone's throw from the River Thames and a 10 minute walk from our busiest station, Waterloo. It is local to many well-known attractions, restaurants and retail facilities and is easily accessible by public transport.
Working an average of 37 hours per week, typically around 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
We all belong at SWR. FirstGroup's vision is to provide an inclusive environment for all colleagues, across its group of businesses, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA+, ethnicity, religion, and disability. We maintain a zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition, for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Other
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:South Bank Central
- Salary:£40,000 - £42,500 per annum
- Closing Date:24 September 2023