Senior Sustainability Manager
South Western Railway is committed to equal opportunities employment, and your application will be reviewed by the hiring panel with personal information removed. In order to assist this process please ensure that any attachments such as CV's or covering letter have personal details removed. Any other attachments such as professional qualifications can be left unedited. Applications not following this guidance may be rejected.
The purpose of the role of Senior Sustainability Manager is to pull together all workstreams delivered by the sustainability team. This role should focus on keeping the business compliant, pushing forward our approach, delivering against our strategy, KPI's and Business Plan Commitments (BPC's) and to deliver improvements across the business.
The role will be responsible for achieving and maintaining relevant certification such as ISO 14001.
- Work to align the approach with best practice from FirstGroup and its Train Operating Companies
- Own and deliver relevant Business Plan Commitments (BPC's) and support the team in reporting progress against these.
- Help develop, monitor and deliver SWR's sustainability strategy
- Work with SWR teams to communicate and champion sustainability
- Work with the sustainability team to help deliver targets and improve KPI performance
- Lead and have good understanding of circular economy and how to embed it in the business
- Ensure environmental compliance, with the aspiration to exceed minimum requirements. Alert and prepare the business to any changes in legislation
- Track and improve the management of environmental complaints and incidents to minimise risk
- Oversea and manage the Environmental Management System alongside the rest of the sustainability team. Within this develop audit programmes, templates and relevant documentation
- Work with stakeholders to resolve environmental complaints
- Work with SWR's Station Property and Major Projects team to embed and monitor sustainability in all construction projects
- Review and provide input for new infrastructure projects (BREEAM/CEEQUAL/GRIP Stage reviews, FG Sustainability Assessment)
- Attend, and in some cases chair SWR meetings for sustainability
- Attend Industry events on sustainable development
- Where relevant, deliver training and awareness events
- Develop, monitor and progress SWR's air quality strategy
- Lead and manage water
- Deputise for the Head of Sustainability as and when required
- Undertake any task that is reasonably requested by the Head of Sustainability
- BA/BSc in Environmental Management/Studies or other relevant degree
- Associate member IEMA or other related professional body
- Experience of ISO14001 Environmental Management Systems
- Experience of internal auditing
- Experienced in environmental reporting
- Ability to deliver multiple projects
- Creation of training and briefing material
- Working with stakeholders on improvement plans
- Working with multiple teams
- Excellent communicator and team player
- Ability to manage own time and work independently
- Proactive in seeking out improvement opportunities
- Excellent report writing skills (essential for preparing business cases)
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with stakeholders
- Knowledge of air quality
Monday – Friday, Office Hours
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free standard class leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
Applicants who require a visa, must have at least 6 months remaining at the time of their appointment.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from the most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:South Bank Central
- Salary:Up to £50,000 per annum
- Closing Date:17 December 2022