Short Term Planning Clerk (CO4)
Who are we?
South Western Railway (SWR) operates over 1,500 services each weekday across the network and employs more than 5,000 people. We provide easy and convenient mobility, connecting people and communities in South West London, southern counties of England and the Isle of Wight.
Join our team and help us continue to improve quality of life by bringing people together to get the most out of life.
SWR is part of FirstGroup, the largest rail operator in the UK and second largest bus operator in the UK outside London. FirstGroup operates services throughout the UK and Ireland, with over 30,000 employees providing services that make travel smoother and life easier. FirstGroup works hard to reduce its impact on the environment, introducing cleaner and more environmentally responsible methods of transport.
About the Team:
There are three area's within the Short Term Planning team; Timing, Rolling Stock & Traincrew Diagramming. You will be learn and become an expert in all of them to ensure all business requirements are met, delivering an excellent service for our customers.
About the job
- To ensure delivery of robust and efficient STP timetables, rolling stock plans and traincrew diagrams for midweek engineering works, which meet both customer and business needs.
- When undertaking a specific planning role within the STP team (i.e. timing, stock or crew diagramming) to develop plans which take due cognisance of other spheres of planning activity liaising as necessary with corresponding team members to produce the optimum overall plan.
- Assist in the review of delay incidents relating to STP activity, identifying and reporting causation; implementing changes to working practices following any associated briefing.
- Assist with other activities within the Train Planning team as required by the Train Planning Manager.
- Act as a positive role model at all times in matters relating to Health and Safety.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Deliver robust amended train plans, co-ordinated with other TOCs as necessary to agreed timescales reflecting Informed Traveller and other industry and company operational production process deadlines as directed by the STP Timings Manager and the Major Possessions Planning Manager
- Compile detailed STP amendments to the base plan, in accordance with commercial specifications, ensuring that laid down best practice quality standards and timescales are met optimising the balance between customer service, productivity, resource availability and good working practices.
- Identify and advise requirements for any unusual movements the STP train plan.
- Undertake the effective and timely planning and of rail replacement services.
- Ensure that schedule details held on TSDB reflect altered train slot bids made in connection with engineering work, special events and Bank Holiday alterations.
- Input to Voyager Plan amendments to altered paths following offer by Network Rail resolving those schedules that do not conform to the altered train slot bid.
- Deliver, within agreed timescales, amendments to the timetable when special events coincide with Engineering Work or other STP activities.
- Provide information for the documentation, publication and distribution of amended STP train plans; including rail replacement services as appropriate.
- Deliver robust rolling stock workings to agreed timescales reflecting industry and company operational production process deadlines as directed by the STP Rolling Stock Manager and the Major Possessions Planning Manager
- Compile detailed STP amendments to the WTT base plan, in accordance with commercial specifications, ensuring that laid down best practice quality standards and timescales are met optimising the balance between customer service, productivity, resource availability and good working practices.
- Identify the requirement for any unusual deployment of rolling stock within the STP train plan.
- Ensure the effective and correct provision of rolling stock in delivering the service requirements through production of efficient Diagrams and Carriage Working Notices in consultation as necessary with engineering and train-care functions.
- Ensure correct overnight balancing and cycling of traction and rolling stock resources for amended timetables and that rolling stock is diagrammed in accordance with Depot Rules.
- Input of rolling stock resource diagrams/carriage workings into VoyagerPlan issuing within laid down timescales managing the interface with GENIUS.
- Deliver, within agreed timescales, amendments to stock workings and diagrams when special events coincide with Engineering Work or other STP activities.
- Produce and distribute STP diagrams as directed by the STP Diagramming Manager and the Major Possessions Planning Manager for weekends, bank and public holidays, engineering work and special events ensuring that laid down quality standards and timescales are met optimising the balance between robustness, productivity, crew availability and good working practices.
- Ensure that all STP services are correctly diagrammed and that the optimum diagramming solution for SWR train crews is achieved including best use of taxis. Such STP amendments to be issued in accordance with laid down best practice in Procedures and Compendium documentation.
- Ensure that traincrew depot capacity for special working is not exceeded monitoring and managing levels of net specials.
- Ensure that traincrew diagrams and schedule cards are produced and distributed in a timely manner in accordance with agreed timescales.
- Utilise the traincrew compilation and optimisation system to prepare diagrams.
- In liaison with the STP Diagramming Manager and the Major Possessions Planning Manager carry out superimposed check of STP Diagrams issued against the Train Plan and TRUST to ensure errors are minimised.
- Previous experience of Train Planning
- As appropriate to the duties being undertaken a good knowledge of:
- Timetabling techniques
- Rolling stock diagramming and associated operational requirements
- Traincrew diagramming and the associated conditions of drivers and guards
- Understand the nature off all subsections of train planning, how they interlink and impact on each other
- A good knowledge of South Western Railway Geography
About the location:
South Western Railways HQ is based on the 4th Floor at South Bank Central, a stone's throw from the River Thames and a 10 minute walk from our busiest station, Waterloo. It is local to many well-known attractions, restaurants and retail facilities and is easily accessible by public transport.
An average of 37 hours per week, typically office hours Monday - Friday.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
We all belong at SWR. FirstGroup's vision is to provide an inclusive environment for all colleagues, across its group of businesses, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA+, ethnicity, religion, and disability. We maintain a zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and job descriptions to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition, for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Other
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:South Bank Central
- Salary:£29,114 per annum plus £2,122 regional allowance per annum
- Closing Date:24 September 2023