Shunter MB2 - Farnham TCD
South Western Railway is committed to equal opportunities employment, and your application will be reviewed by the hiring panel with personal information removed. In order to assist this process please ensure that any attachments such as CV's or covering letter have personal details removed (this includes your name, address and email address). Any other attachments such as professional qualifications can be left unedited. Applications not following this guidance may be rejected.
Who are you?
A desk job isn't for you – you enjoy being on your feet and being active, getting stuck in and working as part of a team, and willing to enjoy those colder rainy days just as much as the sunny summer evenings. You have experience working within an operational environment where communication is key and working in a safe manner is vital. You are able to work within a safety critical environment and have great attention for detail. You are a focused individual that enjoys working as part of a team, a fantastic communicator and great listener, and have the ability take initiative.
Main things you'll deliver
As an MB2 Shunter, you will be responsible for shunting/moving units as directed by the Duty Movements Manager around the depot in preparation for maintenance to be carried out. In order to do this effectively you will need to follow strict procedures and rules that are in place and deliver clear and concise instruction continuously to other members of the team.
Other responsibilities include:
- To prepare trains for service.
- Work to laid down specifications.
- Comply with rules and regulations.
- Adhere to working instructions.
- Advise of all work undertaken and any problems encountered promptly.
- Report any defects found on stock whilst carrying out duties.
- Carry out/adhere to depot protection procedures.
- Work to be undertaken to comply with depot quality procedures.
- Ensure work is undertaken to meet service requirements.
- Carry out Driver Only Train Preparation as required.
- Train and support Learner shunters in practical shunting.
- Carryout winter precautions within the depot as per local instructions.
- Advise Movements Manager of any problems or defects identified and work arising from the issues.
- Ensure all working areas are kept in a clean and safe condition.
- Perform duties in own grade and below as directed, within competency.
Working hours & Remuneration
Base salary for an MB2 shunter is £30,734 per annum plus £951 regional allowance per annum, however many shift patterns offer additional enhancements plus potential opportunity for overtime. There may also be additional enhancements for working nights.
Working an average of 37 hours per week.
1900-0330, 1930-0330, 2000-0400, 2000-0430 including Weekends.
Training & Qualifications
At SWR we believe in providing our staff with the best tools and training in order to carry out tasks to the best of their ability. Upon joining, you will attend practical courses at our training centre in Basingstoke where you will attain recognisable qualifications and information in the following areas:
- Depot operating procedures and safety requirements.
- Personal Track Safety
- DC Electrified Lines.
- Passed out in Rules and Regulations as required
“I started my career in SWR and the railway in September 2019 as a graduate on the Engineering Management Graduate Scheme. Two years on, I am now a full time Production Manager at Wimbledon Depot, and the first woman to be in this position which I am immensely proud of! The opportunities available to you within SWR and the railway are vast, and if there is something that interests you, the support is always there in developing your skill set.” – Jeena Gill (Production Manager)
"After spending 7 years in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), where I maintained Apache helicopters as an Avionics Technician, I chose to move into the rail industry as it offers a welcoming environment for ex-services personnel. I am able to use the qualifications and skills I have obtained over the years as many of them are directly transferrable into the sector. SWR have been able to offer me a challenging opportunity, empowering me to drive forward positive change to support our goals in providing the best service possible for our passengers!" – Micheal Lucas (Senior Production Manager)
Other important information - because we always need to be alert, we have very strict requirements around drugs and alcohol and therefore you will need to pass a medical, also checking your general health. You will also need to be able to complete a number of assessments that ensure you are the right person for this varied yet demanding role.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits including free duty travel and leisure travel on SWR services for employee, leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant), 75% discount on many other train operating companies, a range of retail benefits and an excellent pension scheme.
Applicants who require a visa, must have at least 6 months remaining at the time of their appointment.
At SWR we believe our people are our greatest asset.
Our vision is to recruit and retain the best talent from most diverse pool of candidates across our regions.
We are committed to establishing a sense of inclusion for all and to value each person for the unique contribution they bring.
- Company:South Western Railway
- Website Skillset:Customer Service
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Farnham Train Care Depot
- Salary:£30,734 per annum plus £951 regional allowance per annum
- Closing Date:9 June 2023