Duty Control Manager
Duty Control Manager
Do you have drive, enthusiasm and a passion to help take the North further? If yes, then come and be part of our amazing team here at TransPennine Express.
We are an intercity train company connecting people and communities across our cities and major towns in the North of England and Scotland. Together we will continue to transform rail travel with faster, easier journeys that offer a step change in services with our fleet of new high-tech trains.
The North is a vibrant place to live and work and here at TransPennine Express our services are helping to keep the country moving. If you want to be involved in something truly transformative, that will have a lasting impact on how we travel, then please join us and help us to take the North further.
TransPennine Express are excited to announce it is looking for a Duty Control Manager to lead the Control team on shift and support Transpennine Express in the management of the daily train plan for TPE, Lumo Trains and First Hull Trains.
You will be responsible for leadership of our Control Team, line management of a team of Controllers and to undertake safe management of incidents across the operation of the network.
We are looking for an individual with:
- Leadership capability and significant experience of both leading and managing teams;
- Experience of managing safety critical or high pressurised environments and associated team ethics;
- Ability to work a shift pattern that includes Early's, Late's, Nights, Weekends and Bank Holidays;
- Ability to manage complex situations that require critical thinking about the railway environment in real-time;
- Confidence to express clearly to a varying audience depending on the situation / scenario being managed;
- Experience of working in high pressured environments, but also able to manage periods of quiet in such environments - both extremes;
- Ability to attain safety rules, railway operational knowledge through training, competence and personal development;
- Ability to act as an Incident Commander for TPE in times of severe disruption;
- Ability to demonstrate a proactive and positive approach to personal development and staff development to deliver operational & customer excellence;
- A1 assessor or equivalent (desired);
- Member of the Institution of Railway Operators – MIRO or FIRO (desired);
- Rules and Regulations knowledge to Driver, Signaller or Conductor levels (desired but not essential);
- Transport Experience – preferably Railway Operations (desirable but not essential);
- ILM level 5 or higher in Leadership, Management or Business Management (desired but not essential)
IT proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook and ability to learn and use railway IT systems such as TRUST/TOPS, GENIUS, DATASYS LOG, P2, CCF, BUGLE, etc
Leading and managing a dynamic team is an ESSENTIAL element to this role, as well as managing the interface with Network Rail, other Train Operator Control Centres across the country and internal staff which includes stations, conductors, drivers, revenue protection, managers and directors. You will be expected to deal with management of incidents and be the FTPE ambassador to manage and reduce safety risk, increase customer journey opportunities and manage operational performance where the train plan may be disrupted. You will currently be or become a professional railway operator that balances the required needs of railway operational delivery for the customer experience. In effect, you will be the most senior person on duty managing the operational Railway and will take the lead on a variety of challenges and scenarios.
This post is a SAFETY CRITICAL position and a Senior Control Team post.
If the above sounds like a bit of you, then we'd love to receive your CV and a short cover letter to help us understand why you're the best person for this role please visit FirstGroup Careers.
What we offer?
- Excellent career prospects.
- A personal development plan.
- Fully funded structured training and development*.
- Competitive salary paid on 4 weekly basis.
- Generous annual leave entitlement.
- Free TransPennine Express rail travel for you and your dependants*.
- Travel discounts of up to 75% off other train operating companies, plus international rail travel after 1 years' service* for you and your dependants*.
- Friends & family rail and bus travel offers with FirstGroup services*.
- Free & Confidential Employee Assistance Program and Wellbeing Portal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you with any finance, family, health, or wellbeing issues you have. We make sure there's someone on-hand to offer guidance, advice, and useful information for our people when they are experiencing hardship at work or at home.
- Option to join the Railway Pension Scheme with significant employer contributions.
- Family friendly maternity and paternity benefits.
- Plus, high street and lifestyle discounts as well as a cycle to work scheme*.
*Terms and conditions apply.
Help take the north further.
Why Work with us?
Our colleagues are from all walks of life with varied personal experiences and career journeys into rail. We want the best people for our roles. We are proud of our region and committed to connecting and reflecting the diverse communities that we serve across the North of England and Scotland. Our values are central to this, especially being ‘Supportive of each other'. As an inclusive employer we value individuals' contributions, regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, social background, religion, or belief.
- Company:TransPennine Express Limited
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:42
- Location:The ROC - TPE
- Closing Date:27 March 2023