Do you have the drive, enthusiasm and a passion to help take the North further? If yes, then come and be part of our amazing team here at TransPennine Express.
We are an intercity train company connecting people and communities across our cities and major towns in the North of England and Scotland. Together we will continue to transform rail travel with faster, easier journeys that offer a step change in services with our fleet of new high-tech trains.
The North is a vibrant place to live and work and here at TransPennine Express our services are helping to keep the country moving. If you want to be involved in something truly transformative, that will have a lasting impact on how we travel, then please join us and help us to take the North further.
What will you be doing?
- Ability to drive value through procurement activities, seeking out efficiencies and benefits.
- Ownership of category and being able to provide recommendations and commercial advise to stakeholders.
- Leading procurement and contract negotiation of goods and services, supporting contract committed obligations.
- Working with FirstGroup procurement to align initiatives and lead local procurement activity within group tenders.
- Ensure that supplier credentials are aligned with FirstGroup policies, procedures, governance, and values.
- Lead and Identify procurement related risks and opportunities and manage these effectively.
- Lead the end-to-end procurement activity via early engagement through to producing tenders, supplier evaluation, selection, contract negotiation and finalising awards.
- Produce and own procurement strategies which deliver value and efficiencies.
- Lead and manage regular reviews with relevant stakeholders and contract managers to deliver proactive contract planning and pipeline management.
- Endorse and influence governance compliance to internal stakeholders where procurement policy is required.
- Work closely with the Finance function, identifying cost drivers and reviewing strategic savings and benefits, based on agreed targets and budgets.
- Work with Finance to periodically review budgets for each area and provide support with reporting based on Procurement governance and contract negotiations.
- Support the delivery of DfT contractual obligations and key activities.
- Attend regular functional reviews and lead procurement related discussions.
- Any other reasonable requests or requirements to support the Procurement function as directed by the Head of Procurement.
What skills, experience and personal attributes would you require?
- A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience of procurement systems including e-sourcing/e-tendering
- Ability to work proactively and lead procurement activities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks at any one time to and to be able to deliver to programme dates.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build credibility with internal stakeholders
- Professional procurement experience combined with strong commercial and financial awareness
- Well-developed influencing skills in managing effective working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels
- Working knowledge of procurement UCR legislation
- To challenge and review processes and provide recommendations
- MCIPS qualified or working to achieve.
- Experience of working in the public sector
- OJEU legislation
This role will be reporting directly to the Head of Procurement.
The role will be a flexible working arrangement, with up to three days in a Trans Pennine Express office. Some occasional travel to London and/or across rail networks will be required.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, then we'd love to hear from you! please visit FirstGroup Careers, complete an application form and upload a copy of your CV and a Covering Letter.
Help take the north further.
What we offer?
- Excellent career prospects.
- A personal development plan.
- Fully funded structured training and development*.
- Competitive salary paid on 4 weekly basis.
- Generous annual leave entitlement.
- Free TransPennine Express rail travel for you and your dependants*.
- Travel discounts of up to 75% off other train operating companies, plus international rail travel after 1 years' service* for you and your dependants*.
- Free & Confidential Employee Assistance Program and Wellbeing Portal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you with any finance, family, health, or wellbeing issues you have. We make sure there's someone on-hand to offer guidance, advice, and useful information for our people when they are experiencing hardship at work or at home.
- Option to join the Railway Pension Scheme with significant employer contributions.
- Family friendly maternity and paternity benefits.
*Terms and conditions apply.
Why Work with us?
Our colleagues are from all walks of life with varied personal experiences and career journeys into rail. We want the best people for our roles. We are proud of our region and committed to connecting and reflecting the diverse communities that we serve across the North of England and Scotland. Our values are central to this, especially being ‘Supportive of each other'. As an inclusive employer we value individuals' contributions, regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, social background, religion, or belief.
- Company:TransPennine Express Limited
- Website Skillset:All Other Roles
- Contract Type:Permanent - Full Time
- Contracted Hours:37
- Location:Bridgewater House - TPE Head Office (Manchester)
- Closing Date:12 June 2023